Career Questions for Graduating Electrical Engineer Technology Student

• Thread starter ENGRedcupcake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary: I have enough debt and don't want to add to it.In summary, the student is graduating in May with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology and is looking for a job in design. They have sent their resume to Kysor Warren and Southern Company and are confident about their interview at Columbus over Christmas break. They are also confident about getting a job at Walmart/Sam's Club doing something engineering related if all else fails.
ENGRedcupcake
So I'm graduating in May with my B.S in Electrical Engineering Technology. well walking in may I still have to take my enviromental science and political science over the summer, But I'll be finished by mid-july. I've already started the job search process. I've sent my resume to Kysor Warren and Southern Company based here in Georgia. Kysor Warren, I feel really confident about, I'm going to Columbus over Christmas break for my interview. But honestly I'd like to get out of the south. The genius ( i mean my sister) ensures me if all fails I can get a job at Walmart/Sam's Club doing something engineering related. Even still, an advertising firm in Charlotte i interned at as a graphic design student has extended a hand. Maybe I'm working on my application to Whirlpool's WERLD Leadership Program. Before I get to the questions my stats are:

B.S Electrical engineering technology (08)
Associates degree in Graphic Design (07)
Currently interning at International Paper(Cardboard/Kraft Mill) in the Design Engineering Dept.
3.0 major gpa but a terrible cumlative, which is why grad school not an option.

Questions
1. So eventually I'd want to get a job in design to make use of my years as an art student and engineering student combine. but I know that obviously is near impossible. though the job I applied to at Kysor Warren is assistant position in such. I also know eventually I'd like to get my Masters in either IE or EE or some form of engineering. But what type of entry level jobs should I be aiming for?

2. When they say Bachelor in Engineering required, does that typically mean Engineering technology students need not apply? what about if they say 'Bachelor in Engineering or relavant field'? surely that should include me

3. Is there any advantage to my Graphic Design degree in the job hunt.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The art student part will not really help you in EE. EE is far more complicated and technical, however your creativity may help you think of solutions to problems in different methods/approaches. If you want to get a MS in EE or IE, it would be wise to get a B.S. degree in EE.

2) I would assume so. Bachelor in Engineering or B.S. is required before M.S. You don't need the BS or BEng in EE, you could do it in CE, or CS, but a degree in a relevant technical field would not hurt.

3) Not really - employers are looking for potential candidates that will demonstrate the ability to succeed in the given position with a certain set of skills. If you are going to be working in the lab doing testing or eventually getting a design job, the graphics art degree would not come into play, but it doesn't hurt to have experience in the field.

Thanks. The thought of getting my B.S in EE was initially a plan of mine. But I've already written a few grad schools(okay so it was just 2: NC State and Ga. Tech) and talk to my advisor, that told me that I could be accepted with a B.S EET. and that getting B.S in EE would be a bit like re-inventing the wheel. They did suggest I i take the maths past Calc 3 that weren't required for Engineering Technology before I applied and I think that's a smart idea. If I had the time I'd take Diff EQ and Probablity here, but time's running out.

You need Diff Eq for the most basic circuits class, so I would ** highly ** suggest you take it. Calc III is a must for courses in Electromagnetics, otherwise you don't see that much of it in an undergraduate degree program.

I would just take the 1.5-2 extra years to complete the B.S. in EE. You get a significantly higher salary than an EET, should you consider NOT to go to graduate school for EE.

Thanks... my school doesn't offer EE, and seeing as i have one semester till I finish my degree I can't exactly transfer. Now is possible that if I was go back and get a B.S in EE that I wouldn't have to repeat all the elementary classes or even still to take these extra classes at university offering EE in a non degree seeking form? I know NC state allows such a thing if you're planning to apply to the grad school but what about in general.

Right, most schools won't make you taken Calc I/II, general physics I, etc again... if you've already taken it. There may be restrictions as to what grade you need to have gotten in order for the class to transfer to a BSEE degree, which is depend on the school.

That's the only reason I'm recommending getting a BSEE, you seem to be very far in your BSEET degree anyway. What courses have you taken specifically?

Have you considered software? Especially user interfaces. A lot of art there...

I know and appreciate that, but that's not really a realistic option since once again, my school doesn't offer an EE degree, I'm not trying to be pugnacious it's just that most schools require 1/2 of the major credits to be at that school. Ga. Tech's fairly kind with transfers from my school to Ga. Tech, making most maths transfer and all EET classes with a B or better transfer.
but perhaps it'll be something to consider for a 2nd bachelors if you really think it'll make such big difference.
I've taken the eet maths y'know.
Physics 1. Currently in Physics 2 and Thermodynamics

Circuit analysis 1n2, Electronic 1n2, Electrical Distribution systems, Fluid Mechanics, PLC's 1n2, Operational Amplifiers, Digital Circuit 1, Drafting 1n2, Intro to Computer Engineering, Intro to EET, Intro to MATLab, Java 1n2, object oriented programming

Currently taking: Microcontrollers, Senior Project, Digital Communications
Next semester taking: Digital Circuit 2, Engineering econ, Rotating Machinery, Program Design. and then graduation time. -woot-

wildman: thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

1. What types of job opportunities are available for graduating electrical engineering technology students?

Graduating electrical engineering technology students have a variety of job opportunities available to them. They can work in industries such as telecommunications, power generation and distribution, electronics manufacturing, and renewable energy. They can also work in fields such as control systems, robotics, automation, and instrumentation. Additionally, they can pursue careers in research and development, consulting, project management, and technical sales.

2. How can I stand out as a job candidate with an electrical engineering technology degree?

To stand out as a job candidate with an electrical engineering technology degree, it is important to gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs. You can also participate in extracurricular activities such as engineering clubs and competitions to showcase your skills and knowledge. Additionally, networking with professionals in the industry and obtaining relevant certifications can make you a more competitive candidate.

3. What skills and knowledge should I have as a graduating electrical engineering technology student?

As a graduating electrical engineering technology student, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and electrical engineering principles. You should also have knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software, programming languages such as C++ and Python, and electrical circuit analysis. In addition, communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are essential for success in this field.

4. What is the salary range for electrical engineering technology graduates?

The salary range for electrical engineering technology graduates varies depending on factors such as location, industry, and job position. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical engineering technicians was $65,260 in May 2019. However, salaries can range from $40,000 to over $100,000 depending on experience and qualifications.

5. Are there opportunities for further education and career advancement in the field of electrical engineering technology?

Yes, there are opportunities for further education and career advancement in the field of electrical engineering technology. Graduates can pursue a master's degree in electrical engineering or a related field to deepen their knowledge and specialize in a specific area. They can also obtain professional engineering (PE) licensure, which can lead to higher-paying job opportunities and career advancement. Additionally, with experience and expertise, graduates can move into managerial or leadership positions within their organizations.