Coordinates at which 2 tangent lines of a function pass through a single point

In summary, the question asks for the coordinates of all points on the graph of y=3e^x - x^3 at which the tangent line passes through the point (1,0). The suggested method is to use the coordinates (X1, Y1) and (X2, Y2) to calculate the slope of the line through (1,0) and one of these points, and set it equal to the derivative of y=3e^x - x^3. However, this leads to a difficult equation to solve, and it is recommended to use a computer to evaluate the answers numerically. Newton's Method can also be used to solve the equation.
goaliemon89
Here is what the question asks:

Find the coordinate of all points in the graph of y=3e^x - x^3 at which the tangent line passes through the point (1,0).

----------------------------

I am told that the 2 points are (-.872, -1.027) and (2.275, 13.657). Any help at all that you can give will be very much appreciated.

I was thinking of letting the 2 coordinates be (X1, Y1) and (X2, Y2), calculating the slope of the line through (1,0) and one of these points, and setting this slope equal to the derivative of y=3e^x - x^3 ...but I seem to be going no where.

Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the slope of the derivative would be the slope of the tangent at what point on the line?

What's the equation for the tangent line at the point (a,f(a))?

By the way. This final expression is nasty to solve. I think you'll need a computer to evaluate the answers numerically in the end.

Alright -- the final equation i get is 6e^x + 2x^3 - 3x^2 - 3xe^x = 0

The 2 answers that the book gives work in this equation...but how the hell would I solve this?

If I were to set 6e^x + 2x^3 - 3x^2 - 3xe^x equal to y in my calculator and graph it, is there a way for the calculator to tell you the x-intercepts?

EDIT - Never mind - I figure it out! Thanks for helping out.

Last edited:
Newton's Method?

1. What are coordinates at which 2 tangent lines of a function pass through a single point?

These coordinates are referred to as the point of tangency. They represent the point where the function and the tangent lines intersect.

2. How do you find the point of tangency?

To find the point of tangency, you need to first find the derivative of the function at that point. Then, set the derivative equal to the slope of the tangent line. Finally, solve for the point of tangency by plugging in the x-value into the original function.

3. Can there be more than one point of tangency for a function?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have multiple points of tangency. This occurs when the function has multiple local extrema (maximum or minimum points).

4. What does it mean when 2 tangent lines pass through a single point?

This means that the function has a point of inflection at that point. A point of inflection is where the concavity of the function changes, and the tangent lines represent the different slopes of the function at that point.

5. Is the point of tangency always the same as the point of intersection?

No, the point of tangency and the point of intersection are not always the same. The point of intersection is where two different curves intersect, while the point of tangency is where a function and a tangent line intersect.