Bouncing Ball Lab: Calculate Distance & Time

In summary, the ball bounces back and forth with a .736 coefficient of restitution for a total distance of 178 inches.
ZincPony

Homework Statement

Figure out the total distance traveled by a ball bouncing vertically when its dropped from a height of 6 ft above the ground and the time the ball was in motion for.

G 32ft/s^2

ball one dropped from 72 inches bounced back up 53 inches with a Coefficient of restitution of .736

Homework Equations

the distance i figured would be the CR of each bounce up times 2, with the initial drop the ball traveled 178inches with just one bounce.

72 drop down + (2(53 bounce[up + down])) + (2(53xCR)) + ...

How do i figure out how to calculate the distance without punching in the CR and calculating each bounce up and down

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the Coefficient of restitution for each ball tested, but I am having some trouble with figuring out the time and distance problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
here are the equations that were presented with the lab.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5433/bouncedm1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bouncing ball distance

edit

Last edited:
Ignoring deformation, the ball bounces an infinite number of times, but in a finite time. What you're looking for is this sum:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \ 72 + 2 \times \ 53 \times \ \sum_{i=0}^n \ (.736)^i[/tex]

This sum can can be calculated with a somewhat clever method.

Last edited:
hmmm soo how would i go about figuring out the clever method to get he sum. I am just having a hard time with this, someone please help.

Last edited:
Jeff Reid said:
Ignoring deformation, the ball bounces an infinite number of times, but in a finite time. What you're looking for is this sum:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \ 72 + ( 2 \times \ 53 )\times \ \sum_{i=0}^n \ (.736)^i[/tex]

This sum can can be calculated with a somewhat clever method.

wouldnt it be like this?? the equation

i looked at the wiki page but I am just having some trouble with set up of the equation. i know jeff reid set up an equation for me but i am still having trouble understanding the set up and calculating it.

The sum of an infinite geometric series with 1st term 'a' and CR 'r' = a/(1-r), if mod(r)<0. That was what Jeff Reid was talking about. Now try out the formula he gave.

Starting with your
S = 72 drop down + (2(53 bounce[up + down])) + (2(53xCR)) + ...
and re-writing it as
S = 72 + 2(72)x0.736 + 2(72)x0.736^2 + 2(72)x0.736^3 + 2(72)x0.736^4 ...
= -72 + 2(72) + 2(72)x0.736 + 2(72)x0.736^2 + 2(72)x0.736^3 + 2(72)x0.736^4 ...
-72 + a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 ...
where a is 2(72) and r is 0.736

Check out the wikipedia link and you will find that the sum of
a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 ...
is
a / (1 - r)

awesome, thanks guys

would i go about the same way to figure out the total time in seconds the ball was in motion.

Try it!

What is the time for the first bounce, second bounce, third bounce ... any pattern like ar^n wher n is 1,2,3, ... ?

Last edited:
wouldnt i just go about finding the time by first finding hte total distance in feet, then figure out the time it was in travel by the feet per second it travels.

total distance / 32ft/s^2
sqrt of (total distance / (32ft/s^2))

The ball does not have a constant speed...

Shooting star said:
The ball does not have a constant speed...

if the balls speed changes thus making it not have equal speed between bounces taking different time how do i go about figuring it out with geometric progression

Each time the ball bounces back with 0.736 of the speed with which it hits the ground. We know the time a ball takes to fall back to the ground if it's projected upward with velo v. Sum the times of each bounce-- that's also a GP. Remember, the very first time it only fell.

Like I said, "What is the time for the first bounce, second bounce, third bounce ... any pattern like ar^n wher n is 1,2,3, ... ?"

1. How do you calculate the distance a bouncing ball travels in a lab?

To calculate the distance a bouncing ball travels in a lab, you will need to measure the height from which the ball is dropped and the height at which it bounces. The distance traveled is equal to the sum of the initial height and the maximum height reached during each bounce.

2. What factors affect the distance a bouncing ball travels?

The distance a bouncing ball travels can be affected by factors such as the initial height from which it is dropped, the surface on which it bounces, and the elasticity of the ball itself. The air resistance and temperature can also impact the distance traveled.

3. How do you find the average distance traveled by a bouncing ball in a lab?

To find the average distance traveled by a bouncing ball in a lab, you will need to record the distance traveled during each bounce and then calculate the average by adding all the distances and dividing by the number of bounces.

4. Can the distance a bouncing ball travels be predicted?

Yes, the distance a bouncing ball travels can be predicted by using the law of conservation of energy. This states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. By taking into account the initial energy of the ball and the energy lost due to friction and air resistance, the distance traveled can be predicted.

5. How does the time of flight of a bouncing ball change with increasing height?

The time of flight of a bouncing ball increases with increasing height. This is because as the ball is dropped from a higher height, it gains more potential energy, which is then converted to kinetic energy as it bounces. This results in a longer flight time as the ball travels a greater distance before coming to a complete stop.