Deriving Equation Vin = Vout * R2/(R1+R2)

• Thread starter Fys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deriving
In summary, the conversation is discussing the derivation of the equation V in = Vout * R2/(R1+R2) and the concept of negative feedback in operational amplifiers. The Wikipedia page provided a detailed explanation and the conversation also included a file with the derivation.
Fys
I have a bit difficulties deriving the equation V in =Vout * R2/(R1+R2)
Because I can't see a closed loop here
Can someone help with this

Thx

Attachments

• opamp.bmp
    142.3 KB · Views: 521
Engineering news on Phys.org
Fys said:
I have a bit difficulties deriving the equation V in =Vout * R2/(R1+R2)
Because I can't see a closed loop here
Can someone help with this

Thx

It's more traditional to write it as Vout = Vin * (whatever)

The opamp has very high gain, so that if there is any difference in voltage between the + and - inputs, the output swings hard in that direction (if + > -, the output swings positive hard). So bringing the midpoint of R1 and R2 back to the - feedback input will cause the opamp to do whatever it can (sorry for the anthropomorphising) to make the voltage on its - input equal Vin. The output Vout will stabilize to whatever it takes across R1 + R2 to get Vin at the midpoint. Makes sense?

I have derived this in the attached file.

This is the negative feedback (feedback from output of the opamp to the inverting input of the opamp).
With negative feedback, voltage at inverting input (V-) = voltage at non-inverting input (V+). And the output voltage will be controlled by the V-.
Without the negative feedback, the amplifier is called "open loop" where the output voltage is Gain*differnt voltage between V+ and V-.

Attachments

• opamp_derive.JPG
    opamp_derive.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the equation Vin = Vout * R2/(R1+R2)?

This equation is commonly known as the voltage divider equation, and it is used to calculate the output voltage (Vout) of a voltage divider circuit. It relates the input voltage (Vin) to the resistance values of the two resistors in the circuit (R1 and R2).

2. How is this equation derived?

The voltage divider equation can be derived using Ohm's Law and the principle of voltage division in a series circuit. By applying these principles and using the definition of voltage as the potential difference between two points, the equation can be derived.

3. Can this equation be used for any type of voltage divider circuit?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of voltage divider circuit, as long as there are only two resistors in series. It is a general equation that applies to both DC and AC circuits.

4. What are the limitations of this equation?

The voltage divider equation assumes that there is no current flowing through the output terminal, and that the resistors are connected in series. If these conditions are not met, the equation may not accurately calculate the output voltage.

5. Can this equation be used to calculate the input voltage or resistance values?

No, this equation can only be used to calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider circuit. To calculate the input voltage or resistance values, other equations such as Ohm's Law or the power equation must be used.