Complimentary Angles In Archery

• Thread starter LURCH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of complimentary ballistic trajectories by archers in the 17th century, inspired by the battle of Agincourt in Shakespeare's Henry V. The idea is to wait for the enemy to approach to a closer range, allowing for two different angles of attack and increasing the lethality of the first strike. While there is no evidence of this tactic being used, historians believe the longbow was still a valuable weapon at Agincourt. There is also no archeological evidence of the battle, as its exact location is still unknown.
LURCH
Science Advisor
Howdy Eevrybody!

I'm starting research into an idea that struck me rather suddenly (but with no lasting injuries), while reading Shakespeare's Henry V. At the battle of Agingcourt, the English had the advantage of a standoff weapon, the Welsh longbow. I fell to wondering whether they might have made the fullest use of this advantage the way modern artillary units do, by the use of complimentary angles.

I'm talking about the practice of allowing an enemy to come into range by some margin; not firing at extreme long range. Firing at maximum range forces a guncrew, or an archer, to fire at about 45o. That is the only way to get the projectiles to fly the farthest that they can. But a fairly savvy commander, if he knows he has standoff capability, will wait for the enemy to approach to some distance considerably less than maximum range. Then, there are two different angles at which the projectile will reach the enemy, one high and one low. If the first vlley is fired high, it takes a longer time to reach the target. This diminishes the time between firings, and often illiminates it completely. If the difference in travel time for to ballistsic trajectories is 12 seconds, for example, and the gun takes 12 seconds to reload, re-aim, and fire again, then both projectiles arrive at the same time, and the first strike hits with as much force as though the attacker had twice as many field pieces. Surely, some archers must have noticed this in King Henry's day. But I wonder if they realized the use to which it could be put, and I wonder if King Henry knew of it, and if he made use fof it at Agingcourt.

Does anyone know if 17th-century millitary tactics included the use of complimentary ballistic trajectories to increase the lethality of their first-strike? Does anyone know of any archeological investigation of the battle-site, or do we not know where it happened?

If anything interesting comes of this, I'm going to write a paper on it for my English class.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer your question, but it certainly is an interesting one. I would think with the quick reload times of an archer, the hard part would be when to launch the second volley. It seems possible for the second volley to arrive before the first, if the timing is not just right. This would make it difficult to shield yourself from arrows raining down at a high angle AND a flat trajectory. Very interesting, I have not read of this being done, does not mean it wasn't. They were not ignorant after all.

LURCH said:
Howdy Eevrybody!

I'm starting research into an idea that struck me rather suddenly (but with no lasting injuries), while reading Shakespeare's Henry V. At the battle of Agingcourt, the English had the advantage of a standoff weapon, the Welsh longbow. I fell to wondering whether they might have made the fullest use of this advantage the way modern artillary units do, by the use of complimentary angles.

I'm talking about the practice of allowing an enemy to come into range by some margin; not firing at extreme long range. Firing at maximum range forces a guncrew, or an archer, to fire at about 45o. That is the only way to get the projectiles to fly the farthest that they can. But a fairly savvy commander, if he knows he has standoff capability, will wait for the enemy to approach to some distance considerably less than maximum range. Then, there are two different angles at which the projectile will reach the enemy, one high and one low. If the first vlley is fired high, it takes a longer time to reach the target. This diminishes the time between firings, and often illiminates it completely. If the difference in travel time for to ballistsic trajectories is 12 seconds, for example, and the gun takes 12 seconds to reload, re-aim, and fire again, then both projectiles arrive at the same time, and the first strike hits with as much force as though the attacker had twice as many field pieces. Surely, some archers must have noticed this in King Henry's day. But I wonder if they realized the use to which it could be put, and I wonder if King Henry knew of it, and if he made use fof it at Agingcourt.

Does anyone know if 17th-century millitary tactics included the use of complimentary ballistic trajectories to increase the lethality of their first-strike? Does anyone know of any archeological investigation of the battle-site, or do we not know where it happened?

If anything interesting comes of this, I'm going to write a paper on it for my English class.

Plunging fire would almost certainly have been known by archers at Agincourt (1415) since it had been used at Hastings (1066), but many historians believe the chief benefit of the longbow at Agincourt was to provoke the French at a great distance, leading to their ill-fated charge. At closer range, the English archers used other weapons in hand-to-hand combat, taking advantage of the narrowed front and clumsy armor of the (by now) unhorsed French.

I believe there is not any archeological evidence of the battle. Tere was a recent development flap and, to the best of my knowledge, nobody could prove exactly where the battle occured.

1. What are complimentary angles in archery?

Complimentary angles in archery refer to the two angles formed by the bowstring and the arrow when it is at full draw. These angles are complementary, meaning they add up to 90 degrees.

2. Why are complimentary angles important in archery?

Complimentary angles are important in archery because they determine the trajectory of the arrow. The steeper the angle, the higher the arrow will fly, and the flatter the angle, the lower the arrow will fly. This is crucial for accuracy in hitting the target.

3. How do you measure complimentary angles in archery?

Complimentary angles can be measured using an angle measuring device or a protractor. The angle is measured from the bowstring to the arrow when it is at full draw.

4. What is the ideal complimentary angle in archery?

The ideal complimentary angle in archery varies depending on the distance to the target and the archer's personal preferences. Generally, a 45-degree angle is considered ideal for most shots, but this may vary for different archers and shooting styles.

5. How can I improve my complimentary angles in archery?

To improve your complimentary angles in archery, it is important to practice consistently and develop muscle memory. Pay attention to your form and make sure your bowstring and arrow are at the correct angles at full draw. Seeking guidance from a coach or experienced archer can also help improve your complimentary angles.

Back