How to find the Dielectric Strength

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the dielectric strength of a capacitor. The question provides information about the capacitor's capacitance, voltage rating, and dimensions, and asks for the dielectric strength in KV/m. The conversation ultimately leads to the equation C=\frac{\epsilon_0 A}{d} being used to solve the problem. The final answer is C = 2.4719x10^-10 and the question is noted to have appeared in a past exam.
jra_1574
Hello, everyone!

I have a question, and i don't know how to solve it...
They ask me for the dielectric strength!
How do i find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Type out the entire problem so we can help you...

The full question is like this:

The square plates of a 9000pF capacitor measure 90mm by 90mm and are separated by a dielectric which is 0.29mm thick. The voltage rating of the capacitor is 300V. THe dielectric strength, in KV/m is closest to:
A. 1300
B. 930
C. 1200
D. 1100
E. 1000

To be honest i have no idea how to approach this problem.

for such a capacitor,the capicitance is given by

[tex]C=\frac{\epsilon_0 A}{d}[/tex] where d=thickness and A=area

ok i did the calculation

Eo = 8.85 x10^-12
A= 8.1x10^-3
d = 2.9x10^-4

so the final answer is C = 2.4719x10^-10

Now what should i do?

Can u tell me where did u find the problem coz that was the same question in my exam? So that I can predict future exam qts.

It was actually in my exam a few years ago.. i solved the problem in class tho... i don't remember the answer, but the equation given here was very useful... :)

1. What is dielectric strength?

Dielectric strength refers to the maximum amount of electric field that a material can withstand without experiencing electrical breakdown. It is typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is dielectric strength measured?

Dielectric strength can be measured through various methods such as the ASTM D149 standard test method, which involves applying an increasing voltage to a material until it experiences electrical breakdown. The voltage at which breakdown occurs is then recorded as the dielectric strength.

3. What factors affect dielectric strength?

The dielectric strength of a material can be affected by several factors such as its composition, thickness, and purity. In general, materials with a higher dielectric constant tend to have a higher dielectric strength. Temperature and frequency can also impact dielectric strength.

4. How does dielectric strength relate to insulating materials?

Insulating materials are designed to have a high dielectric strength in order to prevent electrical current from passing through them. This is important in applications such as electrical wiring and electronic components where insulation is necessary to avoid short circuits and other electrical malfunctions.

5. Why is it important to know the dielectric strength of a material?

Knowing the dielectric strength of a material is crucial in selecting the appropriate material for different applications. It helps ensure the safety and reliability of electrical systems and devices by determining the maximum voltage that can be applied without causing damage. Additionally, understanding the dielectric strength can also aid in identifying potential failure points in a system.