ASTM A572: Temperature Effects on Yield

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a reference for ASTM A572, specifically regarding temperature effects on yield. The conversation suggests checking the structural steel forum at Eng Tips and also mentions sources such as MatWeb and ASTM standards for more information on the material's composition and properties. The conversation also mentions that the ASTM standards do not provide performance criteria or characteristics, which must be determined by the end user.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Does anyone happen to know of a good reference for ASTM A572 (any grade) that lists temperature effects on yield? The standard only lists room temperature specs.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Q_Goest said:
Hi Fred,
You might want to try the structural steel forum at Eng Tips.
http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=679&page=1 [Broken]

There was already some discussion of this:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=61347
Hey Q. Good to see you.

Thanks. I keep forgetting about Engineering Tips. I'll float by there too. Thanks also for the thread link. Luckily I am not designing for a structure, in their sense. I have a very particular need for an I beam that definitely does not fall under the usual structural engineering umbrella.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the data in MatWeb has been supplied directly by companies in the supply chain - most often the manufacturers, or, less commonly, distributors or fabricators. Other data has been taken from standards organizations or from similar materials/known relationships by the MatWeb staff. For more information about this specific material, see the following source(s):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASM Specialty Handbook - Carbon and Alloy Steels, edited by J.R. Davis, Davis & Associates, ASM International, Metals Park, OH, (1996).

Engineering Properties of Steels, Philip D. Harvey, editor, American Society for Metals, Metals Park, OH, (1982).

Metals Handbook, Vol.1 - Properties and Selection: Irons, Steels, and High-Performance Alloys, ASM International 10th Ed. 1990.

Metals Handbook, Howard E. Boyer and Timothy L. Gall, Eds., American Society for Metals, Materials Park, OH, 1985.

Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics, 2nd ed., Douglas C. Giancoli, Prentice Hall Publishers, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (1989)

SAE Ferrous Materials Standards Manual, 1999 ed., HS-30, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, (1999).

For ASTM A572 Grade 42
http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatID=14023

Four grades are avaiable - 42, 50, 60 and 65, which represent min RT YS in ksi. The material's strength depends on composition and thermo-mechanical processing (e.g. controlled rolling and accelerated cooling methods).

ASTM materials standards are intended to provide some specifications for manufacturing and product acceptance in order to assure quality and uniformity of product. The ASTM standards do not provide performance criteria or characteristics. That must be determined by the end user.

Thanks Astro.

I was looking at the composition and the properties of both the A572 and plain 1020, I am wondering if I couldn't just use the curve for 1020 yield suppression and call it a day. I am still waiting on my metallurgy guys to get back to me on this.

1. What is ASTM A572?

ASTM A572 is a standard specification for high-strength low-alloy (HSLA) structural steel. It outlines the chemical composition and mechanical properties of various grades of steel, including A572 Grade 50, which is commonly used in construction and other applications.

2. How does temperature affect the yield strength of ASTM A572?

The yield strength of ASTM A572 steel decreases as temperature increases. This is due to the fact that at higher temperatures, the steel undergoes a reduction in its internal strength due to changes in the microstructure. As a result, the steel becomes more ductile and less able to resist deformation, resulting in a lower yield strength.

3. What is the maximum temperature that ASTM A572 can withstand?

The maximum service temperature for ASTM A572 steel is 450°F (232°C), according to the standard specification. However, the actual temperature limit for a specific grade of A572 steel may vary depending on its chemical composition and other factors.

4. What are the potential consequences of using ASTM A572 at high temperatures?

Using ASTM A572 at high temperatures can result in reduced strength and stiffness, which can lead to structural instability and failure. It can also cause changes in the microstructure of the steel, such as softening, which can affect its mechanical properties and performance.

5. How can the effects of temperature on ASTM A572 be mitigated?

The effects of temperature on ASTM A572 can be mitigated by using other materials or grades of steel that are specifically designed for high-temperature applications. Additionally, proper design and fabrication techniques can also help minimize the impact of temperature on the performance of ASTM A572 steel.