Why does differentiability imply continuity?

In summary: I think what chicken_dude wants to say is that to differentiate a function it has to be continuous already. Hence diff. implies continuity. But the reverse is not true.Yes, but what does that have to do with "not being in the domain of the function"? I agree that if a point is not in the domain of a function, the function cannot be either continuous or differentiable there, but the real question is about why, if a function is differentiable at a point in the domain the function must be continuous there.In summary, if a function is not continuous at a point in the domain of the function, the function cannot be differentiable there.
lLovePhysics
I've been thinking... Since derivatives can be written as:

[tex]f'(c)= \lim_{x\rightarrow{c}}\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c}[/tex]

and for the limit to exist, it's one sided limits must exist also right?

So if the one sided limits exist, and thus the limit as x approaches c (therefore the derivative at c) (but f(x) is not continuous at c) why can't f(x) have a derivative at c?

I'm just looking at it from that standpoint (I know that derivatives are basically the rate of change of a function at a point or in general).

Physics news on Phys.org
http://people.hofstra.edu/stefan_Waner/RealWorld/calctopic1/contanddiffb.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If the limit as x->c of f(x) does not exist and equal f(c) then the numerator doesn't tend to zero and the denominator does. How can the derivative exist? If you are asking if a function can have a one sided derivative, the answer is that it can.

Last edited:
Derivatives are only defined for points in the domain of a function

if c is not in the domain of f(x), then f'(c) by definition does not exist

chickendude said:
Derivatives are only defined for points in the domain of a function

if c is not in the domain of f(x), then f'(c) by definition does not exist
True, but what does that have to do with continuity which was the whole point of the question?

HallsofIvy said:
True, but what does that have to do with continuity which was the whole point of the question?

I think what chicken_dude wants to say is that to differentiate a function it has to be continuous already. Hence diff. implies continuity. But the reverse is not true.

Yes, but what does that have to do with "not being in the domain of the function"? I agree that if a point is not in the domain of a function, the function cannot be either continuous or differentiable there, but the real question is about why, if a function is differentiable at a point in the domain the function must be continuous there.

The function f(x)= x for x< 1, x+ 1 for [itex]x\ge 1[/itex] has x= 1 in its domain but is neither continuous nor differentiable there. Your initial reponse implied that you thought that "f is not continuous at p" was the same as "p is not in the domain of f" which is certainly not true.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is differentiability important in understanding continuity?

Differentiability is important because it provides a precise mathematical definition for continuous functions. It allows us to determine whether a function is continuous at a specific point and helps us visualize the behavior of the function around that point.

2. How does differentiability relate to the slope of a function?

Differentiability is closely related to the slope of a function at a given point. If a function is differentiable at a point, it means that the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point exists and is well-defined. This slope represents the rate of change of the function at that point.

3. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable. This can happen when a function has a sharp corner or a cusp at a point, where the tangent line does not exist. A classic example is the absolute value function at x=0, where the slope changes abruptly from negative to positive.

4. How does differentiability ensure a function is "smooth"?

Differentiability ensures that a function is "smooth" or has no abrupt changes or jumps in its behavior. A differentiable function is continuous and has a well-defined slope at every point, which means it has a nice, smooth curve without any sharp turns or corners.

5. Are all continuous functions differentiable?

No, not all continuous functions are differentiable. A function can be continuous but not differentiable at specific points, as mentioned earlier. However, if a function is differentiable at every point within a given interval, then it is also continuous within that interval.