Crematorium uses burning bodies to heat guests

In summary: Idiots.Well, in summary, a crematorium in England is planning to use the heat generated from burning bodies to keep mourners warm, in an effort to reduce their carbon footprint. This has sparked some humorous and interesting reactions from readers, including a joke about mummies being used as fuel for locomotives and the idea of using dead bodies as energy sources. However, it appears that the idea of burning mummies for fuel is just a common mistake and not actually true. Overall, people seem to have mixed reactions to this plan, with some finding it practical and others finding it disturbing.
fourier jr
yeah that's what I call body heat! :rofl:

Crematorium plans to create 'body heat'

Published: Jan. 7, 2008 at 10:00 PM

MANCHESTER, England, Jan. 7 (UPI) -- A crematorium near Manchester, England, has introduced the idea of using heat produced by burning bodies to keep mourners warm.

Tameside Council officials are planning to use heat generated from cremating bodies to keep people warm at Dukinfield Crematorium, the Daily Mail reported Monday.

The council said the plan would reduce its carbon footprint by capturing and reusing the energy.
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2008/01/07/crematorium_plans_to_create_body_heat/4593/

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a prelude to Matrix, where they use human bodies as an energy source.

I recently heard, third hand knowledge, that when a body is cremated, the rising temperature of the gases in it's body will cause it to sit up and scream in a high-pitched tone. I found that a chilling thought.

HAHAAHAHHAAH, that can't be true. - but its damn funny!

I say why not use dead bodies for a source of energy. There not doing anything anyways. Id want my body to be an organ donor, used for science, or used for energy. It would be such a waste to just rot in a 6 foot hole where not even a tree is going to be planted over top my body to make use of the decomposition.

donating your organs to People is a good idea too.

i think they might be talking more about recycling the heat used to burn a body then the heat created by a body burning? i wouldn't think cadavers would be vary flamable... although its been a while since iv had a good body burning session.

Scented candles anyone?

I suspect there's been a misquote somewhere along the path of this story getting from the source to the reader. I don't think they're really meaning they're using heat generated from burning the bodies, but rather recapturing the heat from the fire used to burn the bodies...incinerators/crematoria use immense amounts of fuel to generate enough heat to fully cremate a body, and then it's all just vented off at the end of the run, so they're saying instead of just venting all that off at the end and paying for more fuel to run a heating system, capture some of that vented heat for use in heating the building.

Plus, the article has a positive reaction to it. I don't understand why people respond like as if they were negative in the article.

I remember reading that about 100 years ago they used to burn mummies in steam locomotives in Egypt

rewebster said:
I remember reading that about 100 years ago they used to burn mummies in steam locomotives in Egypt
Actually it seems not? I thought it was true.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Actually it seems not? I thought it was true.

did you read something about that?

rewebster said:
did you read something about that?
Here http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020222.html and a lot of other websites all attribute the story to joke made by Mark Twain. And I read it in a history book as being true.

In our local small town, the folks at the phone company kept getting sick, and there was an odor that for a long time could not be sourced. In the end they found that the exhaust from the crematorium next door was entering the intake of the air system for the phone company. :yuck:

Evo said:
Here http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020222.html and a lot of other websites all attribute the story to joke made by Mark Twain. And I read it in a history book as being true.

well, it does say that they were used for fuel in locomotives, though

Is part of the Physics Forum powered by burning mummies?

__________________________-

"During medieval times they were ground into powder and used as medicine."

Uuuhhh--cough, cough-

-------I don't feel well---I need my mummy!

Last edited:
rewebster said:
well, it does say that they were used for fuel in locomotives, though
No, read the whole thing, it goes on to explain that is a common mistake that's been spread.

Evo said:
No, read the whole thing, it goes on to explain that is a common mistake that's been spread.

I read it---

I was just throwing some more fuel on the fire

rewebster said:
I read it---

I was just throwing some more fuel on the fire
They did grind them up and use them as medicine.

BUT--I bet two mil to one that SOME Egyptians did burn them as fuel at times (or at least parts)

---------------

After all, Troy was just a legend, too

Last edited:
rewebster said:
BUT--I bet two mil to one that SOME Egyptians did burn them as fuel at times (or at least parts)
I've heard that's how the first maple syrup wells were formed.

Evo said:
I've heard that's how the first maple syrup wells were formed.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yea, I heard about this before it was posted here, and people were getting in a huff. Its not like they're venting the "body smoke" into the church to heat it, theyre just using excess heat. Makes perfect sense to me, I'm amazed at how stupid people can be! I mean they don't even look at the facts before they go off the handle.

1. What is a crematorium?

A crematorium is a facility that specializes in the process of cremation, which is the burning of human remains to reduce them to ashes. This process is an alternative to traditional burial and is often chosen for its lower cost and environmental impact.

2. How does a crematorium use burning bodies to heat guests?

Some crematoriums have begun to use a process called "waste heat recovery" where the heat produced during the cremation process is captured and used to heat the building. This can help reduce energy costs and make the facility more environmentally friendly.

3. Is it safe for guests to be heated by burning bodies?

Yes, it is safe for guests to be heated by the waste heat from the cremation process. The heat is captured and filtered before being circulated throughout the building, so there is no direct contact with the burning bodies.

4. Are there any benefits to using a crematorium that utilizes this method?

Aside from potential cost savings and environmental benefits, using a crematorium that utilizes waste heat recovery can also be seen as a more sustainable and respectful way to honor the deceased. It also allows for a more efficient use of resources.

5. Are there any potential concerns or controversies surrounding this practice?

While some may find the concept of using waste heat from burning bodies to heat guests as unconventional, it is important to note that all regulations and guidelines for proper cremation and waste heat recovery are still followed. However, as with any new practice, there may be some hesitation or controversy surrounding the idea.

Back