Projectile Motion - Ramp Angle

In summary, the projectile motion equation states that the angle of a ramp (in degrees) that a bus needs to complete a gap is 4.39 degrees.
patv
[SOLVED] Projectile Motion - Ramp Angle

Good evening everyone!

Homework Statement

This is a classic ramp angle question. I am trying to find the angle of a ramp in order for a bus to complete the gap (Yes, this is from the film Speed, and I have searched, but haven't found a solution.)
Known:
Velocity = 31.29 m/s
Distance of gap = 15.24 m
The landing part of the road is level with the take off.

Homework Equations

θ = (1/2) sin^-1 (fg x d / v2).

The Attempt at a Solution

θ = (1/2) sin-1 (9.81 x 15.24 /31.292)
θ = (1/2) sin-1 (149.5044 / 979.0641)
θ = (1/2) sin-1 (0.1527)
θ = (1/2) (8.7834)
θ = 4.3917 degrees.

This answer does not quite seem right. I have gone through my calculations, but I cannot find an error. Perhaps my equation is wrong, I am not sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am still puzzled by this.
Could someone help me determine whether or not I am using the correct equation?

I see that you are using the range formula. Make sure the distance is in meters. Also remember that sin(x) = sin(180 - x), so there are two solutions for the angle that yield the same range. One of the angles is 4.39 degrees while the other angle is 85.6 degrees.

mike115 said:
I see that you are using the range formula. Make sure the distance is in meters. Also remember that sin(x) = sin(180 - x), so there are two solutions for the angle that yield the same range. One of the angles is 4.39 degrees while the other angle is 85.6 degrees.
Thank you. I converted the distance to meters. I doubt the angle of the ramp would have to be 85.6, so you would say 4.39 is correct?
I was expecting a number closer to around 25 degrees, but that was pure guessing.

The range equation is

[tex]R = \frac{v^2}{g}\sin{2\theta}[/tex]

rearranging

[tex]\sin{2\theta} = \frac{Rg}{v^2}[/tex]

There are two solutions for theta

[tex]\theta = \frac{1}{2} \sin^{-1}\frac{Rg}{v^2}[/tex]
or
[tex]\theta = \frac{1}{2}[180 - \sin^{-1}\frac{Rg}{v^2}][/tex]

Plugging in all the numbers, you get
[tex]\theta = 4.39^\circ[/tex]
or
[tex]\theta = 85.61^\circ[/tex]

Any value of theta between those two will make the jump (since at either of those values, the bus barely makes it)

chickendude said:
The range equation is

[tex]R = \frac{v^2}{g}\sin{2\theta}[/tex]

rearranging

[tex]\sin{2\theta} = \frac{Rg}{v^2}[/tex]

There are two solutions for theta

[tex]\theta = \frac{1}{2} \sin^{-1}\frac{Rg}{v^2}[/tex]
or
[tex]\theta = \frac{1}{2}[180 - \sin^{-1}\frac{Rg}{v^2}][/tex]

Plugging in all the numbers, you get
[tex]\theta = 4.39^\circ[/tex]
or
[tex]\theta = 85.61^\circ[/tex]

Any value of theta between those two will make the jump (since at either of those values, the bus barely makes it)
Thank you very much, sir.
This question had me second guessing myself because we were not given the equation, I had just found it somewhere online.
Cheers!

1. How does the angle of the ramp affect the distance a projectile travels?

The angle of the ramp affects the distance a projectile travels because it determines the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity. The steeper the ramp, the greater the vertical velocity and the shorter the horizontal distance traveled. On the other hand, a shallower ramp will result in a lower vertical velocity and a longer horizontal distance.

2. Can you explain how the angle of the ramp affects the time of flight for a projectile?

The angle of the ramp affects the time of flight for a projectile because it influences the initial velocity and the trajectory of the projectile. A steeper ramp will result in a shorter time of flight as the projectile will have a higher vertical velocity and reach its peak more quickly. A shallower ramp will result in a longer time of flight as the projectile will have a lower vertical velocity and a longer horizontal distance to cover before reaching its peak.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the maximum height of a projectile?

The angle of the ramp affects the maximum height of a projectile because it determines the initial vertical velocity. A steeper ramp will result in a higher maximum height as the projectile will have a greater vertical velocity and a longer time to reach its peak. A shallower ramp will result in a lower maximum height as the projectile will have a lower vertical velocity and a shorter time to reach its peak.

4. Is there an optimal angle for a ramp to achieve maximum distance for a projectile?

Yes, there is an optimal angle for a ramp to achieve maximum distance for a projectile. This angle is 45 degrees. At this angle, the initial velocity is split equally between the horizontal and vertical components, resulting in the longest horizontal distance traveled. However, this assumes no air resistance and a flat surface at the end of the ramp.

5. How does the angle of the ramp affect the velocity of a projectile at impact?

The angle of the ramp affects the velocity of a projectile at impact because it determines the vertical velocity of the projectile. A steeper ramp will result in a higher vertical velocity and a greater impact velocity, while a shallower ramp will result in a lower vertical velocity and a lower impact velocity. The horizontal velocity will remain constant regardless of the ramp angle.