Delta-Epsilon Proof for f(x) = 2√(x + 1) at x = 3 with L = 4 and ε = 0.2

• Thread starter Oneiromancy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses how to handle the absolute value along with an inequality and how to use this to determine a delta value. The focus is on bounding the difference and finding a delta that will work for a given epsilon. The conversation also mentions using a similar procedure for a different function.
Oneiromancy
I'm just kind of confused on how to handle the absolute value along with the inequality. Bad algebra skills. :(

0 < |x - x_0| < [tex]\delta[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] | f (x) - L | < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

I'm given: f(x) = 2[tex]\sqrt{x + 1}[/tex], x[tex]_{0}[/tex] = 3, L = 4, [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 0.2

The attempt at a solution

Nevermind, I tried latex and it messed everything up. Sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, there!

It is best to forget about the epsilon at first, and focus on bounding the difference in terms of delta.

So, we are to bound:
[tex]|\sqrt{2x+1}-\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}|=|\frac{2x+1-(2x_{0}+1)}{\sqrt{2x+1}+\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}}|=2\frac{|x-x_{0}|}{|\sqrt{2x+1}+\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}|}<2\frac{\delta}{\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}}[/tex]

You may use this to determine a delta that surely will work for som particular epsilon, say:
[tex]\delta=\frac{\epsilon}{2}\sqrt{2x_{0}+1}[/tex]

Edit:
Seems I used the wrong function, but the technique is similar for your case. Try it out.

Last edited:
Why did you do 2x_0 + 1?

Did you see my edit?

Follow a similar procedure with |2*sqrt(x+1)-2*sqrt(x0+1)| instead.

Don't bother to use digit-written numbers(like using 3 instead of x0) before the end.

1. What is the purpose of a Delta-Epsilon Proof?

A Delta-Epsilon Proof is used to rigorously prove the limit of a function at a specific point. It ensures that the function gets closer and closer to a specific value (called the limit) as the input approaches a certain value.

2. How does the Delta-Epsilon Proof work?

The Delta-Epsilon Proof involves setting an error margin (represented by epsilon, ε) and finding a corresponding range of inputs (represented by delta, δ) that will result in an output within that error margin. This is done by manipulating the inequality |f(x) - L| < ε, where f(x) is the function, L is the limit, and x is the input value.

3. What is the function and limit being used in this particular proof?

The function being used is f(x) = 2√(x + 1), and the limit is at x = 3 with a value of L = 4.

4. What is the error margin (epsilon) being used in this proof?

The error margin (epsilon) being used in this proof is 0.2.

5. What is the corresponding range of inputs (delta) that will result in an output within the error margin?

The corresponding range of inputs (delta) is (3.8, 4.2), meaning that if the input x is between 3.8 and 4.2, the output of the function will be within the error margin of 0.2 from the limit of 4.