Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning.

• Thread starter Sauk
  • Start date
In summary: Harold Pinter is an English playwright who was born in London in 1935. He started writing plays in 1957. His play in which we, the drama class first heard about him was The Dumb Waiter. The Pinter Pause is a long period of silence at the beginning of a play - in a script it is a whole page or even more of stage directions and actors acting without speech. It sets the scene and gives a level of curiosity amongst the audience, alienating them somewhat when it comes to showtime.
Sauk
Alan Bennett

Alan Bennett was an English author and playwright. He was born in 1934. He has written quite a few
plays, books, TV shows, radio shows and films. Talking Heads was a stage and TV show he wrote,
which was a montage of monologues, so to speak. There are two seasons to it, each with six episodes,
and a thirteenth play. There are recurring themes in Talking Heads, such as loneliness, romance and
irony. The individual episodes were one long monologue with a chracter talking about something -
it could be anything, but most probably about something that has happened to them.

Harold Pinter

Harold Pinter is an English playwright. Harold was born in working-class Hackney in London,
and both of his parents were Jewish. He started writing plays in 1957. The play in which we,
the drama class first heard about him was The Dumb Waiter, in which Umair and James
played Ben and Gus, two hitmen in a basement hotel room with a dumb waiter.
The Dumb Waiter has an excellent example of Harold Pinter's famous pause - the
Pinter Pause. The Pinter Pause is a long period of silence at the beginning of a play - in a
script it is a whole page or even more of stage directions and actors acting without speech.
It sets the scene and gives a level of curiosity amongst the audience, alienating them
somewaht when it comes to showtime - The alienation effect, or the 'V' effect. It draws in the
audience and makes it 'special' when the character squeezes out their first lines. In the
Dumb Waiter, the Pinter Pause is taken into effect when Gus finds a matchbox in his shoe,
and a crushed cigarette packet in the other. It shows what what the characters are like before
the audience get to hear them. We learn in the Pinter Pause in The Dumb Waiter that Gus is
not the brightest tool in the box, and Ben is a serious guy.

Anymore to talk about these two, people?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, you've pretty well covered it.

Alan Bennett was still alive last I knew so he must still be a playwright and author.

What is "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning."?

"Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning." is a phrase that describes something that is very interesting and thought-provoking. It suggests that the speaker is currently learning something fascinating or surprising.

Why do people say "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning."?

People say "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning." to express their excitement and interest in something they are currently learning. It is a way to indicate that they have come across new and intriguing information that they want to share with others.

What types of things might be described as "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning."?

Anything that is fascinating, unusual, or thought-provoking can be described as "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning." This could include scientific discoveries, historical events, cultural customs, personal experiences, and more.

How can I use the phrase "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning." in everyday conversation?

You can use this phrase when discussing something interesting or surprising that you have recently learned. It can be used in a casual or formal setting to express your enthusiasm and engage others in conversation.

Is there a difference between "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning." and "I find this quite intriguing."?

Yes, there is a slight difference. "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning." suggests that the speaker is actively learning something new and fascinating, while "I find this quite intriguing." can refer to something that the speaker has already learned or discovered. Both phrases express interest and excitement, but "Quite Intriguing. What I'm learning." is more focused on the act of learning itself.