How do I write a nuclear equation for the annihilation of a positron?

In summary, the reactant in the annihilation of a positron is a positron (e+) and the product is a gamma ray (γ). The nuclear equation for this process is e+ + e- → γ. Positron annihilation is when a positron and an electron collide and convert their mass into energy in the form of gamma rays. To balance the equation, make sure the total number of reactants and products are equal, and that the total charge and mass are conserved on both sides. This process is not a common occurrence in nature, but can happen in particle accelerators or certain nuclear reactions.
v_pino
How do I write a nuclear equation representing the annihilation of a positron with an electron?

Do they just cancel out? or do I write energy on the left hand side of the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
When an electron and a positron annihilate each other, they produce a pair of photons. The photons conserve energy, and by having two of them, they conserve the momentum of the initial particles as well.

When you work in the center of mass sytem, you will get a pair of 511 kev photons going off in opposite directions - the direction is otherwise free.

1. How do I determine the reactants and products in a nuclear equation for the annihilation of a positron?

In the annihilation of a positron, the reactant is a positron (e+) and the product is a gamma ray (γ).

2. What is the nuclear equation for the annihilation of a positron?

The nuclear equation for the annihilation of a positron is e+ + e- → γ.

3. Can you explain the process of positron annihilation in simpler terms?

Positron annihilation is the process where a positron and an electron collide and convert their mass into energy in the form of gamma rays.

4. How do I balance a nuclear equation for the annihilation of a positron?

To balance a nuclear equation for the annihilation of a positron, make sure that the total number of reactants and products are equal and that the total charge and mass are also conserved on both sides of the equation.

5. Is the annihilation of a positron a common occurrence in nature?

The annihilation of a positron is not a common occurrence in nature. It often happens in particle accelerators or in certain nuclear reactions, but is not a natural process that occurs frequently.