Momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP)

In summary, the question asks about the appearance of an electron wave packet in momentum space when ionized and detected. The answer is that it will appear as a Gaussian due to the Fourier Transform, but the resulting detection may be a delta function or Gaussian in position space. However, the provided picture shows a "Sinc" function, which can be explained by the derived drift momentum equation.
logic smogic
[SOLVED] Momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP)

I know there have been plenty of questions about electrons, momentum, and wave packets recently - but my question is distinct (and comes with a picture!).

Question: If you ionize an atom and detect the resulting free electron wave packet, how should it appear in momentum space?

My understanding is that the spacially-localized electron wave packet (EWP) that is born during ionization will be of a Gaussian shape, due to:

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}{\phi(p)e^{i(px - Et)/\hbar} dp[/tex]

and that it will spread as it moves away from the ion and towards the detector. But won't the detector still process it as either a delta function or a Gaussian (in position space)? And if so, why isn't the resulting detection in momentum space a Gaussian (the Fourier Transform)?

The picture below is of an EWP that was single photon ionized by an XUV attosecond pulse. It looks to me like a "Sinc" function, which means that in position space it would be a rectangular function. This is without scattering (off of the ion core). My question really is why does this picture look like this? Thanks!

Attachments

• EWP01.JPG
    EWP01.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, nevermind!

I found a paper that derives the final (drift) momentum as

[tex]p(t_{0}) = \frac{e E}{\omega} [cos(\omega t_{0}) + \gamma][/tex]

which is effectively a sinc function.

I can provide an explanation for the momentum-space detection of an electron (EWP).

Firstly, it is important to understand that the concept of momentum space is a mathematical representation of the momentum states of a particle. In this case, we are dealing with an electron, which has both particle and wave-like properties. The momentum of an electron can be described by its wave function, which is a mathematical description of the probability amplitude of finding the electron at a particular momentum.

When an atom is ionized and a free electron is produced, it will have a wave function that is a superposition of different momentum states. This wave function can be described by a Gaussian shape, as mentioned in the question. However, as the electron moves away from the ion and towards the detector, it will spread out in space and therefore also in momentum space.

The detector will process the electron's wave function, and the resulting detection in momentum space will not necessarily be a Gaussian. This is because the detector will measure the electron's momentum at a specific point in time, and the wave function at that point in time will be a superposition of different momentum states. This can result in a non-Gaussian shape in momentum space.

Additionally, the scattering of the electron off of the ion core can also affect its momentum and therefore its detection in momentum space. This can result in a different shape than what is expected from the initial Gaussian wave function.

In the given picture of the EWP, the rectangular shape in position space can be explained by the fact that the electron is localized in a small region of space. This can also affect its momentum and result in a non-Gaussian shape in momentum space.

In conclusion, the momentum-space detection of an electron (EWP) can vary depending on the specific experimental setup and conditions. The resulting shape in momentum space may not always be a Gaussian, and this can be influenced by factors such as the electron's initial wave function, its movement, and any interactions with its surroundings.

1. What is momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP)?

Momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP) is a method used in quantum mechanics to study the properties of electrons. It involves measuring the momentum of an electron, which is a fundamental property that describes its motion.

2. How is momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP) performed?

Momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP) is typically performed using a device called an electron spectrometer. This device uses magnetic fields and electric fields to manipulate the motion of electrons and measure their momentum.

3. What can be learned from momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP)?

Momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP) can provide information about the energy, velocity, and direction of an electron. This information can be used to understand the behavior of electrons in different materials and environments.

4. How does momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP) relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP) allows us to measure the momentum of an electron with high precision, but at the cost of losing information about its position.

5. Are there any limitations to momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP)?

One limitation of momentum-space detection of an Electron (EWP) is that it can only be used to study free electrons or electrons in a vacuum. It cannot be used to study electrons within a material, as their momentum is affected by interactions with the material's atoms.