Programming seems to get harder as you go farther in it

In summary, computer programming can be quite difficult, but it's usually really fun and rewarding. You learn a lot by reading other people's code and by Googleing specific features that are difficult for you to understand.
spri4
Computer Programming seems to get harder as you go farther in it. Although you understand it pretty fast once youve been programming a certain way for a while. I am learning to program in high school right now, and some of the projects i get take me four or five days to figure out. Like one I am stuck on now is having an application for vb.net use the financial.ddb method. I think its super hard.

Technology news on Phys.org

Yeah, it's true that computer programming can take a long time. However, it's usually really fun and rewarding. You have the power to create applications that actually do things on computers.

Once you program more you will get better at it. The biggest thing I learned is how to look up answers to problems that you are having. When you start programming in one language, you don't realize what the syntax is, or which control structures to use, or when to make helper functions. But as you go along, you learn that different languages have different pros and cons. By identifying these you start learning how to google specific features that help you finish your programs.

A really good way to get better is to read other people's code. Go online and google different projects and look at the source code. See what they did and why they did what they did. This way you learn what your limits are, and you learn good techniques, and learn to avoid their mistakes.

Cyrus R. said:
Yeah, it's true that computer programming can take a long time. However, it's usually really fun and rewarding.
With the possible exception of trying to mix .Net and MFC code to display a simple *#$%#&** picture like I just wasted a day doing.
Programming is great for people who have a huge tolerance for frustration.

Of course when something works :biggrin:

Computer programming becomes easier (vastly easier) the more you do it. I've been programming for almost 20 years (gasp!), and I can pretty much make a computer do anything I want it to do with very little frustration.

If you're interested in it, keep at it -- you'll be great soon enough.

- Warren

The hardyness of programming is to learn the way of that "programming logic". For example I have applications in C,C#,Java, Python and all of them are logically same to me...all of them are either uses procedural or OO programming. You think in the level of programming logic.

However when working a lang that uses totally different methodology and approach to programming like Prolog, i stuck at it because it uses a very different programming logic besides the ones we are similar with.

Its hard to adapt a new methodology

1. Why does programming become more difficult as you advance in it?

As you progress in programming, you will encounter more complex concepts and languages, which require a deeper understanding and mastery. Additionally, as you gain more experience, you may be challenged with more sophisticated projects, leading to a perceived increase in difficulty.

2. How can I overcome the challenges of advancing in programming?

The key to overcoming the difficulties of advancing in programming is to practice consistently and continuously learn new concepts. It is also important to seek help and advice from more experienced programmers and to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable tasks.

3. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed as I progress in programming?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel overwhelmed as you advance in programming. Learning a new skill takes time and effort, and programming is no exception. Take breaks when needed and remind yourself that it's okay to make mistakes and learn from them.

4. How do I know if I am making progress in programming?

One way to measure progress in programming is to regularly set goals and track your progress towards achieving them. Another way is to reflect on your past projects and see how far you have come in terms of knowledge and skills.

5. Can I become a proficient programmer even if I struggle with advanced concepts?

Yes, anyone can become a proficient programmer with dedication and persistence. It's important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it's okay to struggle with certain concepts. Keep practicing and seeking help, and you will eventually overcome the challenges and become a skilled programmer.