If the earth is one big magnet, why there is not current induced in our selfs?

In summary: That was one of the first big problems that the Navy had with trying to use iron ships with compasses. The magnetization of the ships from the Earth's magnetic field was so large that it caused them to have large errors in their compasses!In summary, the Earth's magnetic field is constant at any point, so standing still or moving in a constant magnetic field will not produce an EMF. To induce an EMF, one must move in a way that changes the magnetic flux through the body, such as spinning or moving linearly through areas of different magnetic field strength. The human body does have a weak current due to its different potentials, but it is not caused by induction from the Earth's field. However, larger
Physicsissuef
if the Earth is one big magnet, why there is not current induced in our selfs? I mean, why there is not electromagnetic induction in the human body?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked? I bet there is some induction, just the current is very low.

How strong is that "big magnet"?

If you have a volt meter handy, put it on the mv scale and grab the probes in each hand.

I run about 80mv on an ungrounded surface.

Actually if you have an oscilliscope hand you might want to test the current across your body. I think you'll find that there's either a 50 or 60Hz AC current (probably in the milliVolt range) passing through your body at all times. This comes from the various power outlets in the room around you. You have to remember that the resistance of skin is quite high

human body 'battery'

Alfi said:
If you have a volt meter handy, put it on the mv scale and grab the probes in each hand.

I run about 80mv on an ungrounded surface.

Yes, good point; I've measured that too...but that's not caused by induction from Earth's field; it is simply a fact that different locations in our human bodies are at different potentials; i.e., our bodies act like a weak 'battery'. If I'm not mistaken, there have even been electronic devices that are designed to run off that potential difference.

Creator :smile:

Last edited:
Physicsissuef said:
if the Earth is one big magnet, why there is not current induced in our selfs? I mean, why there is not electromagnetic induction in the human body?

Why is there not a current induced in our bodies?
Very simple...there must be a time variation in the magnetic field to produce an induced EMF.
At any particular location on Earth the B field is constant in time (to good approx.)...if it were not so then every piece of wire (and metal) on the planet would contain an induced EMF! :eek:

Creator :biggrin:

P.S. Having said that you should be aware that just about any ferromagnetic material, due to its position in the Earth's magnetic field, DOES acquire a slight magnetic N - S polarity. It gives the Navy's Submarine Dept. fits. :smile: Break out your compass and check it out on iron objects that have been sitting around long enough to 'acquire' magnetization from Earth's fields.

Last edited:
Creator said:
Very simple...there must be a time variation in the magnetic field to produce an induced EMF.

no.. to produce an induced EMF in a body, there must be a time variation in the magnetic flux, which can be brought about by a time variation in either the area of the body through which the magnetic field permeates or the magnetic field or both, not necessarily the magnetic field alone.

even though the magnetic field is constant at any point on the Earth [as you said, to a good approximation], the value of [itex]dA / dt[/itex] can be very high. However, as has been mentioned earlier, combined with the very weak magnetic field at the surface of the Earth alongwith the high resistance of the human body, the current constituted in our bodies is extremely small.

Ok, I will conclude, that there is some very low current, while we are moving, since the magnetic field is constant. So to have EM induction either we should move and the magnet should be constant or the magnet should move and we will stay, am I right?

Physicsissuef said:
Ok, I will conclude, that there is some very low current, while we are moving, since the magnetic field is constant. So to have EM induction either we should move and the magnet should be constant or the magnet should move and we will stay, am I right?

Not exactly...
Let me be more precise so the nit-pickers don't start on me.

The field at any point on Earth is constant...so standing still (which is what you originally seemed to ask) there would be NO EMF.
Moving in a constant magnetic field will not necessarily produced the EMF either...you must be moving in such a way that the B flux (through your body) changes ...(as Rohan has said).
Staying at one location this would generally require you to be spinning, (which I don't think you had in mind).

If you are moving linearly, you would have to go through areas of different B field strength...to get an EMF.

... makes sense?

Last edited:
[nitpicking]Earth magnetic field is not constant[/nitpicking]. So even standing still doesn't guarantee you are induced current free :wink:

Why hasn't anyone done a simple calculation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_current

Estimating the Earth's field at 50 mictoTesla, a 6 foot tall person moving at 5 mph generates 0.000204 Volts. Given a resisivity of saline (69 Ohm*cm), I get an induced current of 15 nA, which is measurable.

Creator said:
Not exactly...
Let me be more precise so the nit-pickers don't start on me.

The field at any point on Earth is constant...so standing still (which is what you originally seemed to ask) there would be NO EMF.
Moving in a constant magnetic field will not necessarily produced the EMF either...you must be moving in such a way that the B flux (through your body) changes ...(as Rohan has said).
Staying at one location this would generally require you to be spinning, (which I don't think you had in mind).

If you are moving linearly, you would have to go through areas of different B field strength...to get an EMF.

... makes sense?

Yes, that's correct. Also thanks for the calculation, I'll have it in mind.

You might look at the magnetization of ships to give you some idea of how this works with large, good conductors moving at fairly high speeds.

1. Why don't we feel any electric current from the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field is relatively weak, with a strength of only about 0.5 gauss at the surface. In comparison, the magnetic field strength required to induce an electric current in the human body is about 100 gauss. Therefore, the Earth's magnetic field is not strong enough to cause any noticeable electric current in our bodies.

2. Is the Earth's magnetic field constant?

No, the Earth's magnetic field is not constant. It is constantly changing in both strength and direction. This is due to the complex movements of molten iron in the Earth's outer core, which generates the magnetic field. The field also undergoes periodic reversals, where the north and south magnetic poles switch places.

3. Can the Earth's magnetic field affect our health?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that the Earth's magnetic field has any direct impact on our health. However, some studies have shown a possible correlation between changes in the Earth's magnetic field and certain health conditions, such as headaches and mood disorders. More research is needed to fully understand this potential relationship.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field protect us from harmful radiation?

The Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield, deflecting charged particles from the solar wind and cosmic rays away from the Earth's surface. This protects us from the harmful effects of these high-energy particles, such as radiation sickness and DNA damage. Without the magnetic field, life on Earth would be constantly bombarded by these particles.

5. Can we use the Earth's magnetic field as a source of energy?

While the Earth's magnetic field does contain energy, it is not feasible to harness it as a source of electricity. The energy is spread out over a large area and is relatively weak, making it difficult to capture and convert into usable energy. Additionally, the Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing, which would make it difficult to maintain a stable energy source.