Brainteaser: Solve the Rope Puzzle with Matches!

In summary, if you light one end of rope 1 and the other end of rope 2 simultaneously, it will take 45 minutes for both to burn.
Diffy
Hey all,

I came across this fun little brainteaser, I hope you all enjoy!

You are given two pieces of rope, and a book of matches. The two pieces of rope are in no way alike, they are different lengths and widths. All you know about the two pieces of rope is that if you were to light one on fire it would take an hour to burn from end to end. The rate at which the ropes burn are different, and the rates are not constant. That is to say, for example, it could take 5 minutes to burn half way, and then another 55 minutes to burn the other half. Furthermore the two ropes do not burn at the same rate.

The challenge then is to say when exactly 45 minutes have elapsed, using only the two ropes, and your matches.

Let me know if any part of this needs clarification.

Enjoy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...

No calculations here, so this might be wrong, but I'm going to write what I think is a valid solution (solution should be hidden, highlight to read).

Designate one rope to be rope 1 and the other to be rope 2. Simultaneously light both ends of rope 1 and one end of rope 2. As soon as rope 1 finishes burning, light the other end of rope 2. When rope 2 has finished burning, exactly 45 minutes have passed.

Rope 1 finishes burning at half an hour. At this point, rope 2 will be half burned (time wise - not necessarily length wise), so it would take another 30 minutes for it to finish burning if we did not burn the other end. Lighting the other end causes it to burn twice as fast, so it burns in 15 more minutes.

Yep that's pretty much what I thought as well, so it has a pretty good chance of being right :D

Yes that is the correct solution!

That's a nice one. I remember we got exactly the same one at school during a math class

1. How do you solve the rope puzzle with matches?

To solve the rope puzzle with matches, you will need to use your critical thinking skills and logic. The goal is to create a continuous loop with the rope by moving only two matches. Think about the different ways you can manipulate the matches to form a loop.

2. What is the difficulty level of the rope puzzle with matches?

The difficulty level of the rope puzzle with matches can vary depending on the person's problem-solving skills. Some people may find it easy to solve, while others may struggle. It ultimately depends on how well you can think outside the box.

3. Are there any tips for solving the rope puzzle with matches?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you solve the rope puzzle with matches. First, try to visualize the problem and imagine the different ways the matches can be moved. Also, don't be afraid to experiment and try different combinations. Lastly, think about the placement of the matches and how they can create a continuous loop.

4. Can the rope puzzle with matches have multiple solutions?

Yes, the rope puzzle with matches can have multiple solutions. There may be different ways to move the matches to form a continuous loop. It's all about finding the most efficient solution.

5. Are there any variations of the rope puzzle with matches?

Yes, there are many variations of the rope puzzle with matches. Some may involve different shapes or patterns to form with the rope, while others may have different restrictions on how the matches can be moved. These variations can make the puzzle more challenging and require a different approach to solve.