How Does Touch Switch Surface Area Affect Capacitance?

• Thread starter Jso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the touchpad on a touch lamp needs to have a larger area in order to make it work with more people.
Jso
Hi,

I've taken apart a touch lamp and remodelled it with my own design. The problem is that now it only works with 50% of the people who use it.

The surface area of the switch is much larger than before. Is it a case of replacing a resistor or is there some fundamental problem to having the switching surface too large?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does your unit connect to the AC mains circuits of your house?
If so, the changes you made could make this dangerous and kill somebody.

They do make touch switches that are designed to be connected to random metal objects.
I might suggest you buy one of these.

Hi,

Yes it is connected to the mains but the live wires are not remotely near the metal being touched.

I've looked for switches on their own but have had no luck. Searched Maplins and the net but the only things I've found are circuit diagrams. Do you know where I can find these switches on their own?

Thanks

I don't know about touch switches, but if you are in the UK (you mentioned maplins) these guys are great for buying parts in hobby quantities and will send you a catalogue.
http://cpc.farnell.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd do a leakage check on your plate to make sure that it is safe.
Systems are tested as a whole and changing one could inadvertently bypass some of the safety features built in.

You might find some touch switches in a home center.
They had a large rack of different kinds in the Home Depot (USA) I was in the other day.

Jso said:
Hi,

I've taken apart a touch lamp and remodelled it with my own design. The problem is that now it only works with 50% of the people who use it.

The surface area of the switch is much larger than before. Is it a case of replacing a resistor or is there some fundamental problem to having the switching surface too large?

Thanks

Sounds like you made the plate area larger, which makes the percentage change in capacitance when touched smaller. The bigger the initial capacitance, the smaller the change in capacitance you will get when it is touched. Can you remodel it one more time, and use a smaller area touchpad? Maybe make it look visually big, but only the middle part of it is actually the capacitor area...

What is a touch switch remodelling?

A touch switch remodelling is the process of upgrading a conventional switch to a touch sensitive switch. This involves replacing the traditional mechanical switch with a capacitive touch sensor, making it more convenient and modern.

How does a touch switch remodelling work?

A touch switch remodelling works by using a capacitive touch sensor, which detects changes in electrical capacitance when a conductive object, such as a finger, comes into contact with it. This change is then registered as a touch and the switch is activated.

What are the benefits of a touch switch remodelling?

Some of the benefits of a touch switch remodelling include a sleek and modern appearance, easier operation (no need to physically press a button), durability (as there are no moving parts), and convenience (as they can be easily activated with just a touch).

Can any switch be remodeled into a touch switch?

No, not all switches can be remodeled into a touch switch. The switch must have a power supply, such as a battery or electricity, in order for the capacitive touch sensor to work. Additionally, the switch must have enough space to accommodate the touch sensor and wiring.

Is it easy to install a touch switch remodelling?

It depends on the individual's skill and experience with electrical work. For someone with experience, it may be relatively easy. However, for someone who is not familiar with electrical work, it is recommended to hire a professional to ensure proper installation and safety.