Nuclear reactor physics text recommendation

In summary, a good and current reference text on nuclear reactor theory and physics is Nuclear Reactor Physics by W.M. Stacey and Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Theory by J.R. Lamarsh.
MaverickMenzies
Hi folks, can anyone suggest a good and current reference text on nuclear reactor theory and physics?

I'm a theorist, so mathematically sophisticated presentation is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I grabbed this list:

• W. M. Stacey, Nuclear Reactor Physics, John Wiley & Sons, 2001 (ISBN: 0-
471-39127-1)

• J. R. Lamarsh, Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Theory, Addison-Wesley
Pub., 1966, (ISBN: 0-894-48040-5) I used the 1972 edition when I was an undergrad.

Stacey's text is more modern, and perhaps more available.

References:
• J. R. Lamarsh, A. J. Baratta, Introduction to Nuclear Engineering, 3d ed.,
Prentice-Hall, 2001 (ISBN: 0-201-82498-1) - Good introduction along with the Nuclear Reactor Theory texts.

• J. J. Duderstadt, L. J. Hamilton, Nuclear Reactor Analysis, John Wiley &
Sons, 1976 (ISBN: 0-471-22363-8) - Classic text for graduate students, who if they are undergrad nukes, have probably used Lamarsh or Stacey.

Otts books are more advanced and assume one has had an introduction.

• K. O. Ott, W. A. Bezella, Introductory Nuclear Reactor Statics, American
Nuclear Society, Revised edition (1989), 1989 (ISBN: 0-894-48033-2)

• K. O. Ott, R. J. Neuhold, Introductory Nuclear Reactor Dynamics, American
Nuclear Society, 1985 (ISBN: 0-894-48029-4)

• D. L. Hetrick, Dynamics of Nuclear Reactors, American Nuclear Society,
1993 (ISBN: 0-894-48453-2) advanced text

• E. E. Lewis, W. F. Miller, Computational Methods of Neutron Transport,
American Nuclear Society, 1993 (ISBN: 0-894-48452-4) - advanced text

• J. K. Shultis, R. E. Faw, Fundamentals of Nuclear Science and Engineering,
Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2002 (ISBN: 0-824-70834-2) - this one is new to me. I have all of the above, but this one.

From - http://nuclear.tamu.edu/~pavel/NUEN601S.pdf

I don't know whether the books I (and apparently AstroNuc) used in school have been superseded by modern treatments, but I would suspect not (due to the decline in interest and hence departments of nuclear engineering since the early 1980s). I can tell you that looking around the engineering offices of *a major reactor vendor* that Lamarsh, Duderstadt&Hamilton, and Hetrick are on a lot of bookshelves. See also Glasstone & Sesonke. These (especially the last three) are reactor physics books. If you're interested in the thermal-hydraulics / heat transfer (in addition to the neutronics) see El-Wakil (among others).

You can get the info you need by simply going though Lamarsh's Intro to Nuclear Eng book, then to Glasstone & Sesonske, and then to the Ott books. The Ott Reactor Statics book has an intro, but the material starts off presuming that you've had the basic reactor physics education from books like Glasstone & Sesonske.

Although "J.R.Lamarsh" is a standard in a lot of universities, I don't recommend it. It is a little bit old fashioned and lacks a lot of the numerical technics that are essential for reactor analysis.

I recommend
Nuclear-Reactor Analysis by Allan F. Henry
This book covers the same material in Lamarsh's book but it contains a good introduction for the numerical techniques used in reactor analysis . The last four chapters introduce more advanced approaches and techniques. In my opinion this is an amazing introduction to the subject.It is also the standard text at MIT.
Also Hamilton and Duderstadt is a nice book, and it has the advatage that it covers some related thermal-hydraulics, safety and control topics.

I am using the J. R. Lamarsh "Nuclear Reactor Theory" and the listing of the exercises are poorly designed.

I wonder if anyone has the resolution of exercises.

Thanks

my email: [Email address removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
• J. J. Duderstadt, L. J. Hamilton, Nuclear Reactor Analysis, John Wiley &
Sons, 1976 (ISBN: 0-471-22363-8) - Classic text for graduate students, who if they are undergrad nukes, have probably used Lamarsh or Stacey.

I'm actually using that at an Undergraduate level. It is a reasonable text, but lacks any good examples and the questions out of the book are extremely frustrating. Although I'd still suggest it if you like the theory like I do.

I picked up Stacey 1st ed from the library for self-study. It's pretty well organized, and I'm happy with it thus far. Even thinking about buying myself a copy of the 2nd ed to hold on to. I'd recommend you also grab the errata if you go for this one.

The other nice part is that the first half is set out as an undergrad level treatment, and the 2nd is set up as a higher level (graduate? advanced undergrad? professional reference? I don't know for sure).

1. What are the best textbooks for learning about nuclear reactor physics?

The most recommended textbooks for nuclear reactor physics are "Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Theory" by John R. Lamarsh, "Fundamentals of Nuclear Reactor Physics" by Elmer E. Lewis, and "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" by James J. Duderstadt and Louis J. Hamilton.

2. Are there any online resources for learning about nuclear reactor physics?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about nuclear reactor physics. Some popular options include MIT OpenCourseWare's "Nuclear Reactor Physics" course and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's "Understanding Nuclear Power" online training program.

3. How important is a solid understanding of nuclear reactor physics for a career in the nuclear industry?

A solid understanding of nuclear reactor physics is essential for a career in the nuclear industry. It is the foundation of nuclear power generation and is crucial for designing, operating, and maintaining nuclear reactors.

4. Are there any recommended supplements or accompanying resources for learning about nuclear reactor physics?

Yes, many textbooks on nuclear reactor physics have accompanying resources such as problem sets, solution manuals, and online study guides. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with hands-on experience, such as internships or research opportunities.

5. How can I stay updated on advancements and developments in nuclear reactor physics?

To stay updated on advancements and developments in nuclear reactor physics, you can subscribe to industry newsletters and journals, attend conferences and workshops, and follow reputable sources on social media. It is also essential to continue learning and expanding your knowledge through continued education and professional development opportunities.