I'm trying to learn about cranks

• Thread starter Beer w/Straw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the journal of theoretics dot com and its credibility as a source of experimental proof for the electron being a point particle. The conclusion is that the journal is not considered reputable according to the guidelines of scientific referencing.
Beer w/Straw
I'm not educated, although I'm going to be an undergrad in September, and I'm trying to learn about cranks.

Milo Wolf doesn't seem to like the electron being a point particle and someone posted a link in another forum to the journal of theoretics dot com for experimental proof that it was.

Is the journal of theoretics dot com a trusted mainstream site?

I can try to give more information but since I am under 15 posts I cannot post links.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the journal of theoretics is not a reputable journal.

Thank you for the reply.

If you go to this website
http://scientific.thomson.com/index.html

at the bottom of the page, you can search for journals. If the journal isn't listed there, then it is likely not acceptable as a scientific reference.

1. What is a crank?

A crank is a mechanical device that converts rotational motion into linear motion or vice versa. It typically consists of an arm attached at a right angle to a rotating shaft, and is commonly used in engines, pumps, and other mechanical systems.

2. How does a crank work?

A crank works by using the rotational motion of a shaft to move the arm attached to it in a linear fashion. As the shaft rotates, the arm moves back and forth, converting the circular motion into straight line motion.

3. What are some common uses for cranks?

Cranks are used in a variety of machines and devices, such as car engines, bicycles, water pumps, and hand-operated tools. They can also be found in musical instruments, such as organs and music boxes.

4. How do cranks improve efficiency in machines?

Cranks can improve efficiency in machines by converting motion from one form to another, allowing for smoother and more controlled movement. They also reduce the amount of force needed to operate a machine, making it easier for humans to use.

5. Are there different types of cranks?

Yes, there are several different types of cranks, including single cranks, double cranks, and compound cranks. They can also vary in size and shape depending on the specific application they are used for.