Properties of 2D Photonic Crystals

In summary, photonic crystals can propagate light in one direction in a 2D crystal slab, but scattering losses may still occur. Complete band gaps are not necessary for light traveling in one direction, and there may be some losses when using waveguides. Photonic crystal band gaps have been developed for various frequencies, but some are only possible in 3D crystals.
Cass20
Hello, I'm a business major who has recently stumbled upon the interesting phenomena of photonic crystals. After reading numerous papers and websites on the topic; however, there are many things that go over my head since I have very little knowledge in physics. I'm hoping that someone with more expertise can help me answer a couple of questions:

1. If you are trying to propagate light in one direction in a 2D crystal slab, do you still have to worry about scattering losses through the sides of the crystal, or does that only occur when you try to bend the light?

2. Are complete band gaps necessary for light traveling in one direction (could a 2D crystal band gap reflect all of the light in that frequency traveling through the crystal if it is all being propagated from the same side of the crystal)? Does this also depend on the angle of the incident light?

2. When you use waveguides in a 2D crystal is all the light energy (besides whatever frequency is in the band gap) propagated through the waveguide or are there some substantial losses? (I'm thinking about applications to band-width narrowing here).

3. Have they developed photonic crystal band gaps for every frequency (from UV light to microwaves for example)? Are some of these gaps only possible in 3D crystals?

Wow, this is a lot of questions, I think I'll stop there. Any help would be appreciated, just pick a question to answer or leave a helpful link, please.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, scattering losses through the sides of the crystal can still occur even if you are trying to propagate light in one direction in a 2D crystal slab. This is because the light may interact with imperfections or impurities in the crystal and scatter in a different direction. 2. A complete band gap is not necessary for light traveling in one direction. Depending on the angle of incidence, some light may be reflected at certain frequencies, while some light may be allowed to pass through. 3. Waveguides in 2D crystal can propagate light energy with some losses, depending on the type of waveguide. Losses can also be minimized by careful design of the waveguide structure. 4. Photonic crystal band gaps have been developed for many frequencies, including UV light and microwaves. Some of these gaps are possible only in 3D crystals.

Hello, as a scientist with expertise in the field of photonic crystals, I would be happy to help answer your questions.

1. When propagating light in one direction in a 2D crystal slab, scattering losses can still occur through the sides of the crystal, especially if the crystal has imperfections or defects. However, the amount of scattering can be reduced by carefully designing the crystal structure and using materials with low scattering coefficients.

2. Complete band gaps are not necessary for light traveling in one direction, but they can greatly enhance the efficiency of light propagation. A 2D crystal band gap can reflect a significant amount of light in a specific frequency range, depending on the angle of incident light. However, the effectiveness of the band gap can be affected by factors such as crystal imperfections and light polarization.

3. When using waveguides in a 2D crystal, there can be some losses in light energy, especially if the waveguide is not designed properly or if there are defects in the crystal. However, these losses can be minimized by optimizing the waveguide structure and using materials with low absorption coefficients. In terms of bandwidth narrowing, photonic crystals can be used to filter out specific frequencies, but the effectiveness will depend on the design and properties of the crystal.

4. Photonic crystal band gaps have been developed for a wide range of frequencies, from UV light to microwaves. However, some band gaps may only be possible in 3D crystals due to the more complex crystal structures and interactions between light and matter. Additionally, the size and geometry of the crystal can also affect the band gap properties.

I hope this helps answer your questions and provides some insight into the properties of 2D photonic crystals. If you would like more information, I recommend checking out scientific journals and publications on the topic, as well as consulting with experts in the field. Best of luck in your exploration of this fascinating phenomenon!

1. What are 2D photonic crystals?

2D photonic crystals are periodic structures composed of two-dimensional arrays of dielectric or metallic materials that exhibit unique optical properties due to their ability to manipulate light at the nanoscale level.

2. What are some important properties of 2D photonic crystals?

Some important properties of 2D photonic crystals include strong light confinement, high reflectivity, and the ability to control the propagation of light and manipulate its polarization and wavelength.

3. How are 2D photonic crystals different from 3D photonic crystals?

2D photonic crystals have a periodic structure in two dimensions, whereas 3D photonic crystals have a periodic structure in three dimensions. This affects their optical properties and applications, with 2D photonic crystals being more suitable for planar optical devices and 3D photonic crystals being more suitable for bulk optical devices.

4. What are some potential applications of 2D photonic crystals?

2D photonic crystals have a wide range of potential applications, including in optical communications, sensing, solar cells, and optical computing. They can also be used to create compact and efficient optical devices, such as filters, waveguides, and lasers.

5. How are 2D photonic crystals fabricated?

2D photonic crystals can be fabricated using a variety of techniques, such as lithography, chemical vapor deposition, and self-assembly. These techniques allow for precise control over the size, shape, and arrangement of the photonic crystal elements, resulting in tailored optical properties for specific applications.