Lens & Focal Point System: Image Formation

In summary, when an object is placed within the focal point of lens 1 and the resulting image falls outside the focal distance of lens 2, the image formed will be real and inverted. However, when the same setup is used but the image falls inside the focal distance of lens 2, the resulting image will be real and upright. This is due to the properties of convex lenses and the placement of the object within the focal points of each lens.
Gear2d

Homework Statement

I have a two lens system (both are convex lens; converging lens). Say I set lens 1 on left hand side and lens 2 on the right hand side.

A)If I place an object within the focal point of lens 1 and the image create by this lens is OUTside the focal distance of lens 2, what type of image will be formed?

B) Now the same as part "A" but this time the image formed by lens 1 is inside the focal distance of lens 2, what type of image is formed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Lens 1 will form a virtual upright image (since object is in the focal point of lens 1). Now this image becomes the "oject" of lens 2. Since it falls outside lens 2's focal distance the image formed will be real and inverted?

B) Same as Part "A" up until we get to lens 2. Now this time its in the focal distance of lens 2, so the object, which is virtual upright, will become real and upright?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gear2d,

Gear2d said:

Homework Statement

I have a two lens system (both are convex lens; converging lens). Say I set lens 1 on left hand side and lens 2 on the right hand side.

A)If I place an object within the focal point of lens 1 and the image create by this lens is OUTside the focal distance of lens 2, what type of image will be formed?

B) Now the same as part "A" but this time the image formed by lens 1 is inside the focal distance of lens 2, what type of image is formed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Lens 1 will form a virtual upright image (since object is in the focal point of lens 1). Now this image becomes the "oject" of lens 2. Since it falls outside lens 2's focal distance the image formed will be real and inverted?

That sounds right to me.

B) Same as Part "A" up until we get to lens 2. Now this time its in the focal distance of lens 2, so the object, which is virtual upright, will become real and upright?

What is your reasoning for this result?

I would first like to clarify that the focal point of a lens is a point where parallel rays of light converge after passing through the lens. The focal distance is the distance between the lens and the focal point.

Now, for part A, you are correct in saying that lens 1 will form a virtual upright image since the object is placed within its focal point. However, when this image becomes the object for lens 2, it will form a real inverted image since it falls outside the focal distance of lens 2. This is because the rays of light from the virtual image will converge and then diverge again after passing through lens 2, resulting in an inverted image.

For part B, the object formed by lens 1 will still be virtual and upright. When this image becomes the object for lens 2, it will form a real upright image since it falls within the focal distance of lens 2. This is because the rays of light from the virtual image will continue to converge and form a real image after passing through lens 2.

In both cases, the final image will be inverted or upright depending on whether it falls outside or within the focal distance of lens 2. This is due to the nature of convex lenses, which cause light rays to converge and form an inverted image. I hope this helps clarify the image formation process in a two lens system.

1. What is the lens and focal point system?

The lens and focal point system is a fundamental principle in optics that explains how light is focused to create images. It consists of a lens, which is a transparent material with curved surfaces that refract light, and a focal point, which is the point at which all the light rays converge after passing through the lens.

2. How does the lens and focal point system create images?

The lens and focal point system creates images by bending and refracting light rays that pass through the lens. This bending of light causes the light rays to converge at the focal point, creating a focused image. The size and clarity of the image depend on the properties of the lens, such as its curvature and material.

3. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge at the focal point. This type of lens is used in magnifying glasses and cameras. On the other hand, a concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge. This type of lens is used in correcting nearsightedness in eyeglasses.

4. How does the distance between the lens and focal point affect image formation?

The distance between the lens and focal point, also known as the focal length, determines the size and position of the image. A shorter focal length means the focal point is closer to the lens, resulting in a larger image. Conversely, a longer focal length means the focal point is further from the lens, resulting in a smaller image.

5. What is the relationship between the lens and focal point system and magnification?

The lens and focal point system play a crucial role in magnification. The magnification of an image is determined by the ratio of the image size to the object size. A lens with a shorter focal length will produce a larger image and therefore have a higher magnification. Conversely, a lens with a longer focal length will produce a smaller image and have a lower magnification.