Quartz Resonator: Differences Between Crystal Resonators, Oscillators & Filters

In summary, a crystal filter requires capacitors and resistors to filter the signal, while a quartz resonator does not. The low power crystals used in watches have very long startup times, so a simple crystal resonator set at the desired frequency can be used as a filter. Without any other electronic components.
Idea04
when reading about the main differences between crystal resonators, oscillators and filters there's not much difference in operation, except that filters seem to have the crystal resonators and capacitors and resistors, And resonators seem to oscillate when the proper frequency is applied, And oscillators oscillate when a voltage is applied but also have amplifiers and feedbacks to the crystal. So my main question is why do you need a crystal filter with capacitors to properly filter when you can use a quartz resonator to filter to the specific frequency? Is it for the narrow bandwidth?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't seen crystals or resonators use much in filters, but I suppose there are some special applications where they could be used. Most filters I'm familiar with are RLC passive filters, or RC active filters (with opamps or other amplifier stages).

Crystals have higher Qs than ceramic resonators, so they start up slower in oscillator circuits, but have better frequency accuracy. Ceramic resonators have lower Qs, so they start up faster in oscillator circuits, but have worse frequency accuracy and drift. Oscillator circuits using either crystals or ceramic resonators will have a gain feedback element, to create an instability at the resonant frequency of the crystal or resonator, where the combination oscillates stably at the desired frequency.

Does that help, or do you have follow-up questions?

so if I wanted to select a certain frequency from a signal, and the start up time didn't matter, I could use a simple crystal resonator set at the desired frequency as a filter. Without any other electronic components.

Idea04 said:
so if I wanted to select a certain frequency from a signal, and the start up time didn't matter, I could use a simple crystal resonator set at the desired frequency as a filter. Without any other electronic components.

I don't think it's that simple.

Oscillator basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

Crystal Filter mentioned in 2.4.1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_filter

Crystal Filter Building Blocks from Fox: http://www.foxonline.com/pdfs/filters.pdf

Ah, finally -- the best google search term is "monolithic crystal filter" (whew!) Here's a tutorial:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/data/crystals/monolithic_crystal_filter.php

Startup time applies to crystal oscillators, not to filters.

The low power crystals used in watches have very long startup times.

okay so on the page on monolithic filters it mentions a typical crystal filter that includes capcitors resistors and crystal oscillators. But doesn't mention the exact reason it needs those other electrical components. But I do know that typical crystal filters use several crystals. So are the other components there to basically direct the signal through the other crystals and to get rid of the unwanted frequencies. Also with the monolithic filter they usually are cut a certain way to get the desired frequency. So do they need external components to operate in an electronic circuit.

Chances are you will need some sort of external circuitry for just about any filter.
Just what any internal components might be doing depends on the specific device.

There are SAW (surface acoustic wave) filters also.
These are not cut to a frequency, but depend on antenna like structures deposited on the substrate surface.
http://www.oscilent.com/catalog/Category/saw_filter.htm

I have build ladder crystal IF filters using 4 or 5 crystals of the same frequency. The make good filters with steep sides and low ripple.

They are used in professional and amateur radio equipment.

http://www.pan-tex.net/usr/r/receivers/cryfil.htm

An off the shelf filter crystal filter for (CW) Morse can cost £80.. $150..

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/yf110cn-250hz-narrow-crystal-filter-ft1000mpfield-p-844.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a quartz resonator and how does it work?

A quartz resonator is a type of electronic component that uses a quartz crystal to generate a precise frequency. When an electrical current is applied to the crystal, it vibrates at a specific frequency, creating a stable and accurate signal. This signal can then be used in a variety of applications, such as timekeeping in watches or frequency control in electronic devices.

2. What are the differences between crystal resonators, oscillators, and filters?

A crystal resonator is a type of oscillator that uses a quartz crystal to generate a specific frequency. An oscillator, on the other hand, is a general term for any electronic circuit that produces an output signal. A filter is a component that is used to attenuate certain frequencies in an electronic circuit. While a crystal resonator and oscillator both generate a specific frequency, a filter is used to control or modify that frequency.

3. What are the advantages of using a quartz resonator over other types of resonators?

Quartz resonators offer several advantages over other types of resonators. They are highly stable and accurate, have a low temperature coefficient, and are less affected by external factors such as humidity or vibration. They also have a wide operating temperature range and a long lifespan, making them a reliable choice for electronic devices.

4. Can a quartz resonator be used for both frequency generation and frequency control?

Yes, a quartz resonator can be used for both frequency generation and frequency control. As mentioned earlier, when an electrical current is applied to the crystal, it vibrates at a specific frequency. This frequency can be used as an output or can be controlled by external circuits to generate a desired frequency.

5. How do you choose the right quartz resonator for a specific application?

The right quartz resonator for a specific application depends on several factors, including the required frequency range, stability, accuracy, and temperature range. It is also important to consider the load capacitance and drive level required for the circuit. Consulting a datasheet or working with a supplier can help in selecting the appropriate quartz resonator for a given application.