Why Does Starlight Still Shine Brightly in the Sky?

• Thread starter Vance
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary: Different layers of air temperature and density cause the light to bend and shift, making the star appear to change colors. In summary, stars can still be seen even after they have died due to the time it takes for their light to reach us, and the twinkling effect is caused by atmosferic disturbances.
Vance
Would you please tell me how long a starlight can reach my eyes ?
I have heard that a star might have already gone dead although I can still see it shining bright above...That is correct, right ?
And another question is as to why I see the star shine with different colors, while it obviously has one only? Or is it just because I may have some problems with my eyes ?

I made this question just as my curiosity, and admittedly I am ignorant about this, and that there is truly nothing technical at all...

Thanks for your time and for your answers,

Regards,

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Vance said:
Would you please tell me how long a starlight can reach my eyes ?
I have heard that a star might have already gone dead although I can still see it shining bright above...That is correct, right ?
And another question is as to why I see the star shine with different colors, while it obviously has one only? Or is it just because I may have some problems with my eyes ?

I made this question just as my curiosity, and admittedly I am ignorant about this, and that there is truly nothing technical at all...

Thanks for your time and for your answers,

Regards,

Indeed, you can see a star that is already dead. This is because the light it emits travels at a finite speed, and thus uses time to reach your eyes. For example, if a star 20 light-years away suddenly dissapeared, you would still see it shine for 20 years, because the light it emitted just before it died still has to travel for 20 years to reach you.
As to why you see the star shining in different colors (twinkling), there is nothing wrong with your eyes. This is merely a result of atmosferic disturbances.

Why Does Starlight Still Shine Brightly in the Sky?

There are several factors that contribute to the brightness of starlight in the sky. Here are some frequently asked questions and their explanations.

1. Why do some stars appear brighter than others?

The brightness of a star depends on its distance from Earth and its intrinsic luminosity. Stars that are closer to Earth will appear brighter, while stars with greater luminosity will also appear brighter regardless of their distance.

2. How does the atmosphere affect the brightness of starlight?

The Earth's atmosphere can affect the brightness of starlight in several ways. The atmosphere can scatter and absorb light from stars, making them appear dimmer. It can also cause twinkling or distortions in the appearance of stars due to turbulence in the air.

3. Why do some stars seem to change in brightness over time?

Some stars, known as variable stars, have fluctuations in their brightness due to changes in their internal processes. These changes can range from a few hours to several years and can be caused by factors such as pulsations or eclipses by other objects in the star's orbit.

4. How does the position of a star in the sky affect its brightness?

The position of a star in the sky can affect its perceived brightness due to the Earth's rotation and the angle at which we view the star. Stars near the horizon may appear dimmer due to the light having to pass through a greater amount of atmosphere, while stars directly overhead will appear brighter.

5. Can the brightness of starlight change over time?

Yes, the brightness of starlight can change over time due to several factors. In addition to changes in intrinsic luminosity and atmospheric effects, there can also be changes in the amount of interstellar dust or gas between Earth and the star, which can affect the amount of light reaching us.