How do I find the slope of the tangent line using Definition 1 and Equation 2?

In summary, the problem is to find the slope of the tangent line to the curve y=x^3 at the point (-1,-1). Using Definition 1, the slope can be found by taking the limit as x approaches -1 of (x^3+1)/(x+1), which simplifies to 3. Using Equation 2, the slope can be found by taking the limit as h approaches 0 of ((-1+h)^3+1)-(-1^3+1))/h, which also simplifies to 3. This exercise teaches how to use different methods to find the slope of a tangent line and demonstrates the concept of indeterminate forms.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the tangent line to the curve y=x3 at point (-1,-1)
(i) Using Definition 1
m=limx-->a[tex]\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}[/tex]

(i) Using Equation 2
m=limh-->0[tex]\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I got as far as limx-->-1x3+1/x+1 and was stuck. I thought it was undefined. Then I plugged it into a limit calculator online in desperation, and found that the answer was 3. But for equation 2 I got to the end and go undefined again, plugged it into the limit calculator seeing that it said it was undefined too. I just want to know how you would go about completing the first one, and I am just a little confused at the point of this exercise. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first one, try factoring numerator. You should find that things cancel out. And by the way, it's not undefined, it's in an "indeterminate form". And for the second one, expand the numerator, and again, you'll find that things cancel out. :)

how do I factor x3+1...its not (x+1)3

metalmagik said:
how do I factor x3+1...its not (x+1)3

[tex]a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)[/tex]

[tex]a^3+b^3=(a+b)(a^2-ab+b^2)[/tex]

What is the slope of the tangent line?

The slope of the tangent line is the rate of change of a curve at a specific point. It represents how much the curve is changing at that point and can be calculated using the derivative of the function at that point.

How is the slope of the tangent line calculated?

The slope of the tangent line is calculated using the derivative of the function at the point of interest. The derivative is a mathematical tool that calculates the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

Why is the slope of the tangent line important?

The slope of the tangent line is important because it gives us information about the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can tell us if the function is increasing or decreasing, and how fast it is changing.

What does a positive/negative slope of the tangent line indicate?

A positive slope of the tangent line indicates that the function is increasing at that point, while a negative slope indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. The steeper the slope, the faster the function is changing.

How does the slope of the tangent line relate to the shape of the curve?

The slope of the tangent line is directly related to the shape of the curve. A large positive slope indicates a steep curve, while a small positive slope indicates a gentle curve. A negative slope indicates a downward curve, and a zero slope indicates a flat line.