Find the electric field strength inside a solid sphere.

In summary: For part (a), the Gaussian surface does not enclose the entire volume; and so it does not enclose the entire charge. What volume is enclosed for r=15cm? Shouldn't the charge enclosed be that volume times the density that you just calculated?
_F_

Homework Statement

A solid sphere 25cm in radius carries 14uC, distributed uniformly throughout its volume. Find the electric field strength (a.) 15cm, (b.) 25cm, (c.) 50cm from the sphere's center.

R = .25m
Q = 14 * 10^-6 C

Homework Equations

p = q/(volume)
E = (kq)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I have absolutely no idea where to even begin here. This is what I really need help with. I'm not sure if the answer relates to the other two distances, so i'll show how I got those. For some reason, E = (kq)/r^2 fails here.

b.) E = (kq)/r^2 = (9.0*10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(14*10^-6 C)/(.25m)^2 = 2.02 * 10^-6 N/C

c.) E = (kq)/r^2 = (9.0*10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(14*10^-6 C)/(.50m)^2 = 504 * 10^3 N/C

Physics news on Phys.org
The field inside a uniformly charged sphere is not kq/r^2. To determine the actual relationship, the easiest way is to use Gauss's Law. Are you familiar with Gauss's law?

gabbagabbahey said:
The field inside a uniformly charged sphere is not kq/r^2. To determine the actual relationship, the easiest way is to use Gauss's Law. Are you familiar with Gauss's law?

Yes I am familiar with Gauss's Law.

flux = integral(EAcos(theta)) = q_enclosed/e_0.

I'm still not sure where to go from here, though.

What is [itex]Q_{enclosed}[/itex] at r= 15cm?

gabbagabbahey said:
What is [itex]Q_{enclosed}[/itex] at r= 15cm?

I know its not 14uC. It must be something else, but I can't seem to figure out what.

Q = (e_0)*E*A ?

A = 4(pi)r^2 = 4(pi)(.15m)^2 = .2827m^2 ?

Well the 14uC is distributed uniformly throughout the sphere, so what is the charge density of the sphere then?

I would say Q/A = 14*10^-6 C * .2827 m^2 = 5*10^-5 C/m^2

But plugging that into: E = (5*10^-5 C/m^2)/e_0 = 5.59*10^6 N/C.

But my book says E = 1.21 MN/C

Last edited:
Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

I still can't wrap my head around this. :(If the charge density is p = q/volume. Then p = (14*10^-6 C)/(4/3*pi*(.25m)^2 = 2.14*10^-4 C/m^3

But how do I use this?

Well, [itex]Q_{enclosed}[/itex] is the charge enclosed by your Gaussian surface. For part (a), the Gaussian surface does not enclose the entire volume; and so it does not enclose the entire charge. What volume is enclosed for r=15cm? Shouldn't the charge enclosed be that volume times the density that you just calculated?

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field strength inside a solid sphere?

The formula for calculating the electric field strength inside a solid sphere is E = (Q*r)/(4*pi*epsilon_0*r^3), where Q is the charge of the sphere, r is the distance from the center of the sphere, and epsilon_0 is the permittivity of free space.

2. How does the electric field strength inside a solid sphere vary with distance from the center?

The electric field strength inside a solid sphere is directly proportional to the distance from the center. As the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

3. Can the electric field inside a solid sphere ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a solid sphere can be zero at the center of the sphere. This is because the electric field lines are radially symmetric and cancel out at the center.

4. Is the electric field strength inside a solid sphere affected by the material it is made of?

No, the electric field strength inside a solid sphere is not affected by the material it is made of. It is solely dependent on the charge of the sphere and the distance from the center.

5. How does the electric field strength inside a solid sphere compare to that of a point charge?

The electric field strength inside a solid sphere is similar to that of a point charge, with the main difference being that the electric field strength inside a solid sphere varies with distance from the center, while the electric field strength of a point charge is constant at all distances.