Equilibrium Price & Quantity of Supply & Demand Qs

• Thread starter garyljc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supply
In summary, the equilibrium price cannot be determined without more information, but it can be simplified to t=3x/2-50 and p=100-5x/2.
garyljc
Given p is the price for buyers
and p-t be the price that suppliers get after paying a tax per unit of t
Supply is 2(p-t) and Demand is 100-p
a.) what is the equilibrium price ?
b.) how many quantities are sold at this price?

i'm stucked with the first one , all i know is that when it is equilibrium , S = D
i did equate it but i have 2 unknowns .. should i give the P* (equilibrium price) in terms of t ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not believe that you can answer this question without more information. You can certainly simplify it, though.

S=D
2(p-t)=100-p
t=3x/2-50

a.) To find the equilibrium price, we need to equate the supply and demand equations. This means that 2(p-t) = 100-p. We can simplify this to 2p-2t = 100-p. Then, we can rearrange it to get 3p = 100+2t. Finally, we can solve for p by dividing both sides by 3, giving us p = (100+2t)/3. This is the equilibrium price in terms of t.

b.) To find the quantity sold at this price, we can substitute the equilibrium price into either the supply or demand equation. Let's use the demand equation, 100-p. Substituting p = (100+2t)/3, we get 100 - (100+2t)/3. Simplifying this, we get (300-100-2t)/3 = (200-2t)/3. This is the quantity sold at the equilibrium price in terms of t.

1. What is equilibrium price and quantity?

Equilibrium price and quantity refer to the point at which the supply and demand for a product or service are balanced, meaning that the quantity of the product or service demanded by consumers is equal to the quantity supplied by producers. This results in an optimal market price for the product or service.

2. How is equilibrium price and quantity determined?

Equilibrium price and quantity are determined by the intersection of the supply and demand curves for a product or service. The supply curve represents the quantity of a product or service that producers are willing and able to sell at a given price, while the demand curve represents the quantity of a product or service that consumers are willing and able to buy at a given price. The point at which these two curves intersect is the equilibrium price and quantity.

3. What happens if there is a shortage or surplus at the equilibrium price?

If there is a shortage at the equilibrium price, it means that the quantity demanded by consumers is greater than the quantity supplied by producers. This can lead to an increase in price, as producers may raise prices to decrease demand and increase supply. If there is a surplus at the equilibrium price, it means that the quantity supplied by producers is greater than the quantity demanded by consumers. This can lead to a decrease in price, as producers may lower prices to increase demand and decrease supply.

4. How do changes in supply and demand affect the equilibrium price and quantity?

Changes in supply and demand can cause shifts in the supply and demand curves, which can impact the equilibrium price and quantity. An increase in demand or a decrease in supply will result in a higher equilibrium price and quantity, while a decrease in demand or an increase in supply will result in a lower equilibrium price and quantity.

5. Can equilibrium price and quantity change over time?

Yes, equilibrium price and quantity can change over time as supply and demand for a product or service can fluctuate. Factors such as changes in consumer preferences, technology, and input costs can all impact supply and demand, leading to changes in the equilibrium price and quantity. It is important for producers and consumers to continuously monitor these changes in order to adjust their strategies and behaviors accordingly.