Fully Developed Flow Past Orifice Plate: 20-40x Diam.

• Thread starter Isoho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the distance for a fluid to become fully developed flow past an orifice plate pressure meter is typically 20 to 40 times the diameter of the constriction. However, the standard to follow for printed calculations to be valid is 15 diameters of the pipe ID, not the orifice diameter, downstream before any kind of disruption or change in flow path. This may vary depending on the beta ratio, and there are tables in the ASME specs that outline the required ranges. Other sources such as API, AGA, ISO also have similar criteria for flow measurement.
Isoho
Hi!

what is the distance that a fluid has to go to become fully developed flow past an orifice plate pressure meter?

I have read somewhere that it is 20 to 40 times the diameter of the constriction. Is this correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The standard one has to follow for printed calculations to be valid is 15 diameters of the pipe ID, not the orifice diameter, downstream before any kind of disruption or change in flow path for. This does depend on beta ratio however. There is a table in the ASME specs that spells this out and gives the ranges required.

Thanks Fred!

I was wondering where you sourced that information from as I have just been on the ASME website and found a few papers relating to the matter but I was unable to find the table that you mention? (my beta number is 0.66). I would also really like to read up on the factors behind the 15D if you have any web links to how you know that.

Thank you for your help already though!

1. What is fully developed flow past an orifice plate?

Fully developed flow past an orifice plate refers to the steady flow of a fluid past a circular plate with a hole in the center, where the upstream and downstream velocities are fully developed and constant.

2. What is the significance of the ratio 20-40x Diam in fully developed flow past an orifice plate?

The ratio 20-40x Diam refers to the distance between the orifice plate and the diameter of the pipe. This ratio is important because it ensures that the flow is fully developed and the pressure drop across the plate is accurately measured.

3. How does the size of the orifice plate affect the flow past it?

The size of the orifice plate can affect the flow past it in several ways. A larger plate will cause a greater pressure drop and a smaller plate will cause a smaller pressure drop. The size of the plate also affects the accuracy of the flow measurement, as a larger plate may cause more turbulence and inaccuracies.

4. What are some common applications of fully developed flow past an orifice plate?

Fully developed flow past an orifice plate is commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, water treatment, and chemical processing to measure the flow rate of fluids. It is also used in scientific research and experimentation to study fluid dynamics and flow behavior.

5. How is the pressure drop across an orifice plate related to the flow velocity?

The pressure drop across an orifice plate is directly proportional to the flow velocity. This means that as the flow velocity increases, the pressure drop across the plate also increases. This relationship is important in accurately measuring the flow rate of a fluid in fully developed flow past an orifice plate.