Dynamics: Newtons laws of motion

In summary: The method is spot on. Don't worry about not knowing the cyclist's mass - just call it m for the moment.
Infamous_01

Homework Statement

73) A cyclist is coasting at a steady speed of 12m/s but enters a muddy stretch where the effective coefficient of friction is 0.60. Will the cyclist emerge from the muddy stretch without having to pedal if the mud lasts for 11 meters?. If so, what will be the speed upon emerging.

I have a test tomorrow and this was a question at the end of the chapter that I'm having trouble on. I have no idea how to go about this. I've showed it to at least 5 other classmates who are all stumped. The answer in the back is "Yes, 3.8m/s"

How would i go about arriving at that answer. I've tried applying every formula in the chapter without success.

Homework Equations

Dont even know where to go with that in this equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Me and 4 other students spend a half hour yesterday trying this problem out without any success.

Physics news on Phys.org
Infamous_01 said:
How would i go about arriving at that answer. I've tried applying every formula in the chapter without success.

It would be helpful to try doing a 'before' and 'after' sketch including eveything you already know about the problem (except for the answer!).

Then talk us through what's going on (in words rather than formulae) so we can see what kind of thought processes you're using.

Once you've worked out what you need to do (by talking it through) you can start thinking about how to do it - which formulae to use.

heth said:
It would be helpful to try doing a 'before' and 'after' sketch including eveything you already know about the problem (except for the answer!).

Then talk us through what's going on (in words rather than formulae) so we can see what kind of thought processes you're using.

Once you've worked out what you need to do (by talking it through) you can start thinking about how to do it - which formulae to use.

Well he his initial velocity before he hits the mud is 12m/s. So i tried figuring out the force he would be driving into the mud with. And from there I was going to calculate the effect of the coeffecient from his normal force. But since his mass wasnt given I am completely clueless. I have absluteley no clue where to go from here.

Infamous_01 said:
Well he his initial velocity before he hits the mud is 12m/s. So i tried figuring out the force he would be driving into the mud with.

OK... though probably better of thinking about that as the force that the mud exerts on the cyclist, as it's his motion you're interested in.

And from there I was going to calculate the effect of the coeffecient from his normal force. But since his mass wasnt given I am completely clueless. I have absluteley no clue where to go from here.

The method is spot on. Don't worry about not knowing the cyclist's mass - just call it m for the moment. When you're dealing with forces, the mass of the object often divides out once you set up your equations. So have a go at what you've suggested and see what happens.

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's three laws of motion are:
1. An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws explain the motion of objects?

Newton's laws explain the motion of objects by providing a set of rules that govern how objects move when acted upon by forces. The first law explains how objects will continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed unless an external force is applied. The second law explains how the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law explains how for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in terms of Newton's laws of motion?

In terms of Newton's laws of motion, mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while weight refers to the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's second law states that an object's acceleration is directly proportional to its mass, meaning that the more mass an object has, the more force is required to accelerate it. On the other hand, weight is influenced by the gravitational force of the Earth, so an object's weight can vary depending on its location.

4. How do Newton's laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's laws have numerous applications in everyday life, ranging from the movement of objects to the functioning of machines. For example, the first law explains why objects remain stationary unless a force is applied to them, which is why we need to push or pull a stationary object to make it move. The second law explains why it takes more force to push a heavier object than a lighter one. The third law explains how rockets work by pushing gases in one direction to create an equal and opposite reaction that propels the rocket in the other direction.

5. How have Newton's laws influenced modern science and technology?

Newtons's laws of motion have greatly influenced modern science and technology. They have led to breakthroughs in fields such as engineering, physics, and aerospace, which have allowed us to build and develop complex machines and technologies. For example, understanding Newton's laws has enabled us to design efficient engines, airplanes, and spacecraft. They have also influenced other scientific theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, which builds upon Newton's laws to explain the relationship between mass, energy, and space-time.