What is the Median of a Density Function and How Can I Solve for It?

In summary, the probability density function is defined as f(x) = (4/81)x(9-x^2) for 0 <= x <= 3, with a median value of (9/4)^(1/4) or approximately 1.626.
ACE_99

Homework Statement

The probability density function is defined as

f(x) = (4/81)x(9-x^2) for 0 <= x <= 3
= 0 for every other value

Find the median value of the density.

Homework Equations

The median of a function is

integral from m to infinity of f(x)dx = 1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the integral from m to 3 of (4/81)x(9-x^2).

This turned out to be

(18/81)x^2 -(1/81) x^4 = 1/2

I then evaluated the left hand side from m to 3 and simplified so that only the variable m is left. The equation I got was

(1/81)m^4 - (18/81)m^2 = -1/2

I know that I am suppose to solve for m in order to get the median but I'm not sure how to do this, and I am also unsure whether my procedure is correct.

Any help would be great thanks. Sorry bout the formatting I'm new to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral looks okay. In the equation try setting

[tex]
u = m^2 \Rightarrow u^2 = m^4
[/tex]

Then solve the quadratic for [tex] u [/tex], and find [tex] m [/tex] from that. Remember that [tex] m [/tex] has to be between 0 and 3.

Thanks a lot, I tried that out and it works

1. What is the definition of "median" in a density function?

The median of a density function is the middle value in a set of data when the values are arranged in ascending or descending order. In other words, it is the value that separates the upper half of the data from the lower half.

2. How is the median of a density function calculated?

To calculate the median of a density function, the data must first be arranged in ascending or descending order. If the number of data points is odd, the median is simply the middle value. If the number of data points is even, the median is the average of the two middle values.

3. What is the significance of the median in a density function?

The median is significant in a density function because it represents the center of the data. It is less affected by extreme values or outliers than the mean, making it a more robust measure of central tendency.

4. How does the median relate to other measures of central tendency in a density function?

The median is one of the three measures of central tendency, along with the mean and mode. While the mean is the arithmetic average of the data and the mode is the most frequently occurring value, the median is the middle value in the data set.

5. Can the median of a density function be used to make statistical inferences?

Yes, the median can be used to make statistical inferences, but it is not as commonly used as the mean. In some cases, the median may be a better representation of the data, especially if there are extreme values or the data is not normally distributed.