Homogeneous ODE with variable coefficient

I don't think anyone would say you "always" use that substitution, but it is certainly a useful and common one. In summary, the conversation discusses solving two questions for an assignment on homogeneous ODEs. The methods of variation of parameters and undetermined coefficients are not applicable for equations with non-constant coefficients, so the conversation explores using the power series method or the substitution u = ln(x). The speaker is directed to use the substitution for "Euler type" equations and is given an example of how it can be applied. It is also mentioned that this substitution is not always used, but is a helpful and common method.
Machete_B
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to solve 2 questions for my assignment on homogeneous ODEs

I can solve ODE's with variation of parameters and with the method of undetermined coefficients, but these 2 methods seem useless when the coefficients are not constant :

(x^2)y" - 2xy' -54y = 0

and

(x^2)y" - 3xy' + 4y = 0

I'm not asking anyone to solve it for me, but just to tell me what method I have to use, and I'll find on my book or on the net.

P.S : I know that you can use power series method, but I think there is another one since we are learning the power series method right now, with a brand new homework just on power series!

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are "Euler type" or "equi-potential" equation. You can look for a solution of the form "y= xr" just as, with equations with constant coefficients, you try "y= erx". Of course, in either situation, there are other kinds of solutions.

That works because making the substitution u= ln(x) converts a Euler-type equation to an equation with constant coefficients. For example, letting u= ln x, then dy/dx= (dy/du)(du/dx)= (1/x)dy/du. d2y/dx= (d/dx)((1/x) dy/du)= (-1/x2)dy/dx+ (1/x)((1/x)d2y/du2)= (1/x)2d2y/du2- (1/x2)dy/du.

So x2y"- 3xy'+ 4y= 0 becomes x2(1/x2)d2/du2- (1/x2)dy/dx)- 3x((1/x)dy/du)+ 4y= d2y/du2- 4 dy/du+ 4y= 0. Solve that differential equation for y as a function of u and then replace u by ln(x).

Thank you very much :D

I'm trying it right now

damn it!

all terms cancel out when I got with

y(u) = Ae2u+ Bue2u

I'm going to try again tomorrow.

thanks again!

Machete_B said:
damn it!

all terms cancel out when I got with

y(u) = Ae2u+ Bue2u

I'm going to try again tomorrow.

thanks again!
What?? Yes, of course, "all terms cancel out"! They are supposed to- they make the equation equal to 0! That proves that y(u) satisfies y"- 4y'+4y= 0.

And with u= ln x, y(x)= Ax2+ B x2 ln(x). Put that into the original equation. "All terms cancel out" is what you want.

haha lol thanks :P

amd another question : we always use u = ln (x) for Euler's type ODE ?

Yes, that gives a one to one relation between the set of all Euler-type equations and the set of all equations with constant coefficients. A solution of one automatically gives a solution of the other.

What is a homogeneous ODE with variable coefficient?

A homogeneous ODE with variable coefficient is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) where the coefficients of the highest order derivative are functions of the independent variable. This means that the equation has a variable structure, making it more complex to solve compared to a standard homogeneous ODE.

What are the key characteristics of a homogeneous ODE with variable coefficient?

The key characteristics of a homogeneous ODE with variable coefficient are that it is a first-order ODE, its coefficients are functions of the independent variable, and it is linear. This type of ODE also has a special property called "homogeneity," meaning that if all the variables in the equation are multiplied by a constant, the equation will still be satisfied.

How can a homogeneous ODE with variable coefficient be solved?

There is no general method for solving all types of homogeneous ODEs with variable coefficients. However, some techniques that can be used include separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. Additionally, numerical methods can be used to approximate solutions for more complex ODEs.

What are the applications of homogeneous ODEs with variable coefficients?

Homogeneous ODEs with variable coefficients have applications in many fields, including physics, chemistry, economics, and engineering. They are used to model various phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They also play a crucial role in the study of differential equations and their applications.

What are some common challenges when dealing with homogeneous ODEs with variable coefficients?

Some common challenges when dealing with homogeneous ODEs with variable coefficients include the lack of a general solution method, the need for complex algebraic manipulations, and the possibility of encountering singular solutions. Additionally, the behavior of solutions can be difficult to predict, making it challenging to interpret the results of the ODE in real-world scenarios.