How to Evaluate the Absolute Value Integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral \int_{-1}^{3} \left|x^2 -4\right| dx by using the theorem for integrals on closed intervals. The correct approach is to split the integral into two parts, choosing c = 2, and integrating the two non-negative integrands separately. The conversation also clarifies the importance of choosing the correct integrand based on its non-negativity.
roam
1. Evaluate

[tex]\int_{-1}^{3} \left|x^2 -4\right| dx[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first time I'm trying this type of question & I think I need to use the following theorem for such questions;

f is integrable on a closed interval a to b.

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx = \int_{a}^{c}f(x)dx + \int_{c}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]

(c; any point in between, no matter how the points are ordered)

Therefore in my problem [tex]\int_{-1}^{3} \left|x^2 -4\right| dx[/tex], I choose c = 2

Now since the integrand is absolute value we have two cases:

1) x2-4
2) 4-x2

I'm not which one of the following is correct;

[tex]\int_{-1}^{2} (4-x^2)dx + \int_{2}^{3}(x^2 -4)dx[/tex]

OR

[tex]\int_{-1}^{2} (x^2-4)dx + \int_{2}^{3}(4-x^2)dx[/tex]

Which one is correct and why?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
|x^2-4| is nonnegative everywhere. So the pair of integrals which have a nonnegative integrand over the region of integration is the correct one. Which is it? The first or the second?

The first one is non-negative!
I think I understand the idea now, thank you very much!

1. What is "absolute value integration"?

Absolute value integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve that crosses the x-axis multiple times. It involves breaking the integral into smaller pieces, each with its own absolute value function.

2. How is absolute value integration different from regular integration?

Regular integration finds the area under a curve by calculating the signed area, taking into account both positive and negative values. Absolute value integration, on the other hand, only considers the magnitude or absolute value of the function, ignoring its sign.

3. When is absolute value integration used?

Absolute value integration is typically used when dealing with functions that have multiple roots or change signs frequently. It allows for easier calculation of the area under the curve without having to consider the sign of the function.

4. What are the benefits of using absolute value integration?

Absolute value integration can make the calculation of the area under a curve simpler and more efficient, especially when dealing with complex functions. It also allows for a more accurate representation of the data, as it takes into account all values of the function, regardless of their sign.

5. Are there any limitations to using absolute value integration?

Absolute value integration may not be suitable for all types of functions, such as those with discontinuities or infinite discontinuities. It also may not provide an accurate representation of the data if the function has a large number of roots or changes signs frequently.