Correcting Discrepancies in Schwarzschild Geodesic Equations

In summary, the two sources disagree about the second derivative of the azimuth angle being negative instead of positive. According to Carroll's equations, the second derivative should be negative, while mathpages.com's source says it should be positive.
snoopies622
I was looking into the geodesic equations for the Schwarzschild metric and I noticed a discrepancy between two sources: According to http://www.mathpages.com/rr/s5-05/5-05.htm (near the bottom) the second derivative of the azimuth angle is

[tex]

\frac {d^{2} \phi}{d \lambda ^2}=\frac {-2}{r} \frac {dr}{d \lambda} \frac {d \phi}{d \lambda}+ \frac {2}{tan (\theta )}\frac {d \theta}{d \lambda} \frac {d \phi}{d \lambda}

[/tex]

where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is something proportional to proper time [tex]\tau[/tex]. In Relativity Demystified (David McMahon, 2006 McGraw Hill, page 218) however, the corresponding equation has the second term negative instead of positive. (The other three equations match exactly.) I also have a copy of Lillian R. Lieber's The Einstein Theory of Relativity (Paul Dry Books, 2008) but in her version (p. 269) the second term is missing altogether.

I intend to try to derive these equations myself but I would like to know in advance what the correct versions are so when I'm done I can see if I made any mistakes. Does anyone happen to know which source is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I only have two books home with me that treat Schwarzschild geodesics, and neither uses Christoffel symbols to find the geodesics, so their equations are a little further on in the process.
snoopies622 said:
I also have a copy of Lillian R. Lieber's The Einstein Theory of Relativity (Paul Dry Books, 2008) but in her version (p. 269) the second term is missing altogether.

As is the case for Newtonian orbits, motion takes place "in a plane", and, WLOG, it's convenient to take [itex]\theta = \pi / 2[/itex]. This wipes out the last term in the equation.

Sean Carroll gives his version in equations (7.29), (7.33) and (7.37).

Carroll, Lecture Notes on General Relativity, http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

Thanks; I'll take a look at the Carroll notes as soon as I can get to a computer with Adobe. Unfortunately my operating system is so old that Adobe is no longer available for it.

Hey thanks again, atyy. It looks like Carroll agrees with mathpages.com instead of McMahon. I'll have to do the computations myself to be sure, but in the meantime I suspect that he's right since frankly that McMahon text doesn't seem very reliable. It's written in a very easy-to-read style but is definitely not error-free.

I'm one of the editors of the new edition of Lillian and Hugh Lieber's The Einstein Theory of Relativity. I don't know if the reader above (snoopies622) checked out the additional notes Bob Jantzen and I added to the book, but they may help him or her work through the Schwarzschild derivation.

My thanks to George Jones who pointed out that \theta could be set equal to \pi/2 without loss of generality. Just as in the standard Newtonian Binet equation the motion takes place in a plane, so too in the relativistic version; the Schwarzschild orbits are two dimensional problems.

1. What are Schwarzschild geodesics?

Schwarzschild geodesics refer to the trajectories of objects moving in the curved spacetime around a non-rotating black hole. These geodesics follow the shortest path between two points in the spacetime, which is determined by the curvature of the spacetime itself.

2. How are Schwarzschild geodesics different from Newtonian trajectories?

In Newtonian physics, trajectories are determined solely by the masses and positions of objects. In contrast, Schwarzschild geodesics take into account the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of a massive object like a black hole. This means that objects may follow curved paths or even fall into the black hole, rather than moving in straight lines as predicted by Newtonian physics.

3. Can Schwarzschild geodesics be observed?

Yes, Schwarzschild geodesics can be observed through the effects they have on light and other objects in their path. For example, the bending of light around massive objects like black holes is a direct result of the curved spacetime and the geodesics it produces.

4. How are Schwarzschild geodesics used in astrophysics?

Schwarzschild geodesics are used in astrophysics to study and understand the behavior of objects near black holes and other massive objects. They also help explain phenomena such as gravitational lensing, where light from distant objects is bent by the curved spacetime around a massive object.

5. Are there any applications of Schwarzschild geodesics in everyday life?

Schwarzschild geodesics have limited applications in everyday life, as they primarily apply to extreme environments like those near black holes. However, they do have implications for technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise measurements of time and distance that can be affected by the curvature of spacetime.