Closest possible points on skew lines

In summary: So, in summary, we are given two skew lines and we need to find two points P and Q on these lines which are closest to each other, such that the line joining P and Q is perpendicular to both given lines. We can use the projection formula and cross product to find the normal that is perpendicular to both lines. Then, we can take a point on each line and use the projection formula to find the distance between them. To get the actual points P and Q, we can set up equations using the difference of the two points and the normal, and solve for the unknowns. Alternatively, we can minimize the squared distance between the two points.
lubricarret

Homework Statement

Find points P,Q which are closest possible with P lying on line:
x=7-5t, y=-5+11t, z=-3-1t
and Q lying on line:
x=-354-8t, y=-194+12t, z=-73+7t

*the line joining P + Q is perpendicular to the two given lines.

Homework Equations

Projection formula, cross product...

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this is the first time I've seen a problem with skew lines, so am a bit confused how to go about this one.

I wrote the equations to be :
X_p = [7,-5,-3] + [-5,11,-1]s
X_q = [-354,-194,-73] + [-8,12,7]t

Therefore, the direction vectors are:
d_p = [-5,11,-1] and
d_q = [-8,12,7]

I took the cross product: [-5,11,-1] x [-8,12,7] to get the normal that is perpendicular to both lines, to be:
[89,43,28]

I figured I would take a point on Line P, and a point on Line Q, to get an arbitrary vector connecting the two lines; I took the points given in the equation:
[7,-5,-3] - [-354,-194,-73] to get v = [361,-189,70]

I then projected this onto the normal, so took:
proj_n_v

Am I correct in doing this? Would this proj_n_v be the distance from P to Q? If it is, what do I do now to get the two points P and Q.

Am I going about this correctly; I've never encountered this type of problem before, but see it in the practice problems on projections...

Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the projection will give you the distance. To get the actual two points, write W=[89,43,28] (your cross product). Then the difference of the two points must be parallel to W. So write X_p(s)-X_q(t)=u*W. That gives you three equations in three unknowns, s,t and u. Solve them. You could also do this more directly by minimizing (X_p(s)-X_q(t))^2. (Take the two partial derivatives wrt s and t and set them to zero.).

Thanks for the reply Dick!

Ahh k, got it now! )

Last edited:

What are skew lines?

Skew lines are two or more lines in a three-dimensional space that do not intersect and are not parallel. They are also known as non-coplanar lines.

How do you determine the closest possible points on skew lines?

To find the closest possible points on skew lines, you can use the distance formula, which involves finding the shortest distance between the two lines. This can be done by finding the perpendicular distance between the lines.

What is the significance of finding the closest possible points on skew lines?

Finding the closest possible points on skew lines can be useful in various real-life applications, such as determining the shortest distance between two objects or finding the optimal path for a moving object to avoid collisions.

Can two skew lines ever intersect?

No, by definition, skew lines do not intersect. They are always at a fixed distance from each other and do not share any common points.

What is the difference between skew lines and parallel lines?

Skew lines do not intersect and are not parallel, while parallel lines never intersect and are always equidistant from each other. Skew lines also lie in different planes, while parallel lines lie in the same plane.