How Many Combinations Are Possible with AAABBBCCDE?

In summary: For example, if a person has selected AABB, then the complement would be ABCD. The probability of getting all three letters in the same order is then (4 x 1 x 1) - 3 = 1/6.
nobahar

Homework Statement

Hello!
Okay, using the letters AAABBBCCDE, draw three letters. What is the probability of getting exactly two letters the same?

Homework Equations

AND

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked my way through the possible combination (e.g. AAB, AAC, AAD, etc.) Then used combinations: [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}3\\2\end{array}\right)[/tex] x [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}3\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}3\\2\end{array}\right)[/tex] x [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}2\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}3\\2\end{array}\right)[/tex] x [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex], etc.

To calculate the probabilities, I get the right answer, but I was wondering if there is an easier way of identifying how many possible combinations there are. For example, if I had to find how many different combinations there are when each letter is different; then, ABCDE gives me 5C3, 10 combinations to work through, I still have to write them out to see what I'm working with, but I know how many I have, whereas I don't necessarily know when the selection of three involves exactly two of the same letters, this is even more important when the range of letters, symbols, objects, etc are many more in number!
Any help appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: I thinks it's just: 3 x (4 x 1 x 1), since I have one way of choosing the first, one for the second, four for the third, and this applies to all the letters that can possible appear twice. Seems a bit tedious, especially if there is a large selections of possibilities...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hint: What is the probability of not choosing the same letter twice? So that leaves us with the alternatives of choosing either all 3 same letters or only 1 same latter, the latter simply equates to choosing all three distinct alphabets.

Thanks!
I assuming that looking at the complement events is the best way then.

1. What is the meaning of "AAABBBCCDE combinations" in the scientific context?

The term "AAABBBCCDE combinations" refers to a specific sequence or arrangement of elements, where the elements are represented by the letters A, B, C, D, and E. This sequence can be observed in various biological or chemical structures, and it is often studied in the field of genetics and molecular biology.

2. How are AAABBBCCDE combinations formed?

AAABBBCCDE combinations can be formed through different processes, such as genetic mutations or recombination events. These combinations can also be the result of specific gene expression patterns or environmental influences.

3. What is the significance of studying AAABBBCCDE combinations?

Studying AAABBBCCDE combinations can provide insights into the genetic makeup and complexity of biological organisms. It can also help in understanding the functions and interactions of different genes and their role in various biological processes.

4. Can AAABBBCCDE combinations be used in genetic engineering or manipulation?

Yes, AAABBBCCDE combinations can be used in genetic engineering to create specific gene sequences or modify existing ones. This can be done through techniques such as gene editing or gene therapy to achieve desired traits or functions in organisms.

5. Are there any known diseases or conditions associated with AAABBBCCDE combinations?

There is no specific disease or condition associated with AAABBBCCDE combinations, as it is a general sequence of elements. However, certain genetic disorders or abnormalities can result from mutations or alterations in these combinations, leading to various health issues.