Tipping Force, Torque, Coefficient of Desperation

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a storage bin that weighs 6950 N and has specific dimensions and angle. The question is how much force is needed to tip the bin over. The equation T = R * F * sin(theta) and the condition Sigma T = 0 are mentioned as possible starting points for solving the problem. The person asking for help is struggling with the concept of torque and needs guidance on where to start. Additional hints are given, such as identifying the pivot point and the counter-torque exerted by the bin.
Axoren

Homework Statement

Some moron kids are trying to tip over a storage bin as shown. The bin weights 6950 N, w = 1.8, h = 2.8, d = 1.85, and theta = 22 degrees. With what force do they need to push in order to tip the bin over?

84126?db=v4net.png

Homework Equations

[tex]T = R * F * sin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma\textbf{T = 0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want an answer, I want to know where to start... This is the first time I've been given a problem with Torque in the X direction and the Y direction. I just need somewhere to start from... I need help before 10:30, or I'm screwed... (Coefficient of Desperation)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Post the diagram so we can see what theta refers to.

Hints: What exerts the counter-torque that the kids must overcome? As it begins to tip, where is the pivot point?

1. What is tipping force?

Tipping force is the amount of force applied to an object that causes it to tilt or tip over. This force is typically measured in newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Torque is typically measured in newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lbs).

3. What is coefficient of friction?

Coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a unitless number that is determined by dividing the force required to move an object by the force holding the object in place. This value is used to calculate the force needed to overcome friction and move an object.

4. How is coefficient of friction related to tipping force?

The coefficient of friction is directly related to the tipping force of an object. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between the object and the surface it is resting on, making it more difficult to tip over. A lower coefficient of friction means there is less resistance and the object is more likely to tip over under a given force.

5. What is the significance of coefficient of determination in tipping force calculations?

The coefficient of determination, also known as the R-squared value, is a statistical measure that indicates the strength of the relationship between two variables. In the context of tipping force calculations, the coefficient of determination can be used to determine how well the coefficient of friction and other variables, such as weight and shape, explain the tipping force of an object. A higher R-squared value indicates a stronger relationship and a more accurate prediction of tipping force.