Mysterious Reddish-Brown Color in Acylation Reaction

In summary, Karl Schilke from Oregon State University is conducting research for his thesis on acetylating solid-supported secondary amines using acetic anhydride. He is following a literature method using 20% acetic anhydride in DMF with DMAP as a catalyst at 100C. He has observed a deep reddish-brown color during the reaction, but it does not affect the capping reaction. He is unsure of the source of this color and is seeking ideas from others. Additionally, he notes that the same reagents in toluene do not produce a color, which could be due to solvent polarity or a reaction between the solvent and the catalyst or acetic anhydride.
Karl Schilke
Hi,

As part of my thesis research, I am trying to acetylate solid-supported secondary amines using acetic anhydride. I am doing this by a literature method, using 20% acetic anhydride in DMF with 1 mg/mL dimethylaminopyridine (DMAP) as a catalyst. The reaction takes place over a few hours at 100C (boiling water bath). The acetic anhydride is ACS, newly-opened bottle. The DMF is Sigma anhydrous grade, in a SureSeal bottle stored and transferred under argon. The headspace of the reaction is also purged with argon before sealing and immersion in the water bath.

During the reaction (even in the absence of amines), I observe formation of a very deep reddish-brown color reminiscent of truck-stop coffee. I have also seen this with solutions of succinic anhydride in acetone, without catalyst. Although it's a little disconcerting, the color doesn't seem to affect the capping reaction -- I am no longer able to label the surface with amine-reactive dyes (e.g. FITC).

I can't for the life of me figure out where the chromophore is coming from. I assume it's some sort of polymerization or a side-reaction with the DMF, but I can't come up with a feasible mechanism. Anyone have an idea? Am I the only one seeing this?

Thanks in advance,

-Karl "Rat" Schilke, Oregon State University

Chemistry news on Phys.org

A quick followup of one thing I forgot to mention -- the same reagents (Ac2O/DMAP) in toluene remain clear after 2 hours at 100C, while the DMF solution has become brown.

Either this is an effect of the solvent polarity (no color in toluene vs. brown in DMF or acetone), or reaction of the solvent and the DMAP or acetic anhydride.

Thanks for any ideas!

-Karl Schilke, Oregon State University

Hello Karl,

Thank you for sharing your research and observations about the mysterious reddish-brown color in your acylation reaction. I understand the importance of identifying and understanding unexpected results in experiments.

Based on the information you have provided, it seems that the color may be caused by a side-reaction between the acetic anhydride and the DMF, possibly due to the high temperature and prolonged reaction time. This could lead to the formation of a polymer or other byproducts that contribute to the color.

I would suggest further investigating the reaction conditions and considering using a different solvent or reducing the reaction temperature to see if the color can be minimized or eliminated. Additionally, it may be helpful to analyze the reaction mixture using techniques such as NMR or IR spectroscopy to identify any potential byproducts that could be causing the color.

It is also possible that this is a common occurrence in acylation reactions and has not been widely reported in the literature. I would recommend reaching out to other researchers in the field to see if they have also observed this color change and if they have any insights or potential solutions.

Overall, it is important to thoroughly investigate and understand the cause of this color change in order to ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results. Good luck with your research!

Best regards,

1. What causes the reddish-brown color in acylation reactions?

The reddish-brown color in acylation reactions is caused by the formation of a byproduct called impurities. These impurities are typically formed when there is an excess of acylating agent or when the reaction is carried out at high temperatures.

2. Is the reddish-brown color harmful or toxic?

No, the reddish-brown color in acylation reactions is not harmful or toxic. It is simply a visual indication of the presence of impurities in the reaction mixture.

3. Can the reddish-brown color be avoided?

Yes, the formation of the reddish-brown color can be minimized or avoided by carefully controlling the amount of acylating agent used and by carrying out the reaction at lower temperatures.

4. Does the reddish-brown color affect the outcome of the reaction?

In most cases, the reddish-brown color does not significantly affect the outcome of the reaction. However, if the impurities are present in large amounts, they may interfere with the desired product and affect the yield.

5. How can the reddish-brown color be removed from the reaction mixture?

The reddish-brown color can be removed by using purification techniques such as column chromatography or recrystallization. These methods help to separate the impurities from the desired product and yield a pure final product.