[Kinematics] Question involving quadratic equation.

In summary, kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces involved. It involves using equations to describe objects' motion, with quadratic equations often used for objects moving in a straight line with constant acceleration. The variables in a kinematics equation are displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. To solve a kinematics problem involving quadratic equations, you must identify the given variables and use the appropriate equation. Kinematics equations can only be used to describe motion in a straight line with constant acceleration; for other directions, vector equations must be used.
Hn.
An object accelerates at the rate of 1.30 m/s^2 over a displacement of 11.8m, reaching a final velocity of 7.00 m/s. For what length of time was it accelerating? Explain the answers.

NOTE: Actually, when I first was about to post this, I finally had gotten the answer I needed. However, I cannot explain why I got these two answers (So now a new question:)).

a = 1.30 m/s^2 , d = 11.8m , v = 7 m/s , t = ?

d = v2t - 1/2at^2

11.8 = 7t - 0.65t^2

0 = 0.65t^2 - 7t + 11.8

-b [tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{b^2-4ac}[/tex]
/2a (The entire equation above)

7 [tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{-7^2-4(0.65)(11.8)}[/tex]
/2(0.65) (The entire equation above)

= 7 [tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{49-30.68}[/tex]
/1.3 (The entire equation above)

Answer:

(7 + 4.28)/2 = 8.68 s

or

(7 - 4.28)/2 = 2.09 sNow I know the answer but, I can't explain why there could be two answers. Can anyone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I don't think your equation is correct.

X = Xo +Vo*t + 1/2*a*t2

Displacement is determined off the initial conditions, not the final.

In your construction you have used what you call final velocity as initial, implying a question that would be how long would it take a ball rolled up an incline at 7m/s to go 11.8m if it is decelerating at 1.3m/s2?

If your 7 m/s is your final velocity, then it implies an initial velocity?

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2*a*x

49 = Vi2 + 2*1.3*11.8

Vi2 = 18.32

Vi = ± 4.28m/sec

Now you can solve for time with the first equation knowing what the initial V is.

The reason you receive two answers is due to the fact that the initial velocity may be in the opposite direction of the acceleration, thus the particle will have to turn around before accelerating to its final velocity of 7.00 m/s.

For example, consider throwing a ball downward from 10m high. The ball will accelerate with gravity and reach the ground ( a displacement of 10m). Now consider throwing the ball straight upward with the same initial velocity. The ball will reach some maximum height, then it will stop, turn around, and fall to the ground. Upon hitting the ground it will have the same velocity as ball 1, the same constant acceleration, and the same final displacement. The only difference is that ball 2 was initial thrown in the opposite direction.

LowlyPion, you are correct that 7 m/s is a final velocity. However, the equation I used did not require me to find out the Initial Velocity to find the time.

BAnders1, thanks for the information.

Hn. said:
LowlyPion, you are correct that 7 m/s is a final velocity. However, the equation I used did not require me to find out the Initial Velocity to find the time.

I see so you solved it backwards, assuming it was slowing from 7m/s, which works as well, though for me anyway, I think it makes understanding your 2 time solutions more challenging.

Answer:

(7 + 4.28)/2 = 8.68 s

or

(7 - 4.28)/2 = 2.09 s

Since you stated the initial velocity was 4.28, I'm guessing that:

t = (7 [tex]\pm[/tex] 4.28)/2

= (v1 [tex]\pm[/tex] v2)/2

So it is equal to say that:

t = 1/2(v1[tex]\pm[/tex]v2)

= 1/2(7[tex]\pm[/tex]4.28)

The initial velocity is found along the way when we do the quadratic equation (that is what I'm assuming because of the 4.28 appearing in the quadratic equation and as the resultant initial velocity; but then again it could be mere coincidence).

EDIT: I realize that your equation is also correct:

Vf2 = Vi2 + 2*a*x

49 = Vi2 + 2*1.3*11.8

Vi2 = 18.32

Vi = ± 4.28m/sec

Is equal to using part of the quadratic equation:

Vi = [tex]\sqrt{-b^2-4(ac)}[/tex]

= [tex]\sqrt{-7^2-4(0.65)(11.8)}[/tex]

= [tex]\sqrt{49-30.68}[/tex]

= [tex]\sqrt{18.32}[/tex] = 18.32^2

= 4.28 m/s

Then all I had to do was do t = 1/2(Vi±Vii).

Thanks for all the help, I now understand it a lot more than before.

Last edited:
Equating time to differences in velocities is a dangerous game.

To be more precise using the result that

Vi = ± 4.28m/sec

And plugging into a new equation for displacement yields:

11.8 = 4.28*t + 1/2*a*t2

.65t2 + 4.28*t - 11.8 = 0

yields 2 results : 2.09 sec and -8.68 sec
Using the other velocity -4.28 yields 8.68 sec and -2.09sec

These answers then are both consequences of the difference in direction of the initial velocity.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics related to quadratic equations?

Kinematics involves studying the motion of objects, which can be described using equations. Quadratic equations are often used to describe the motion of objects in a straight line with constant acceleration.

3. What are the variables in a kinematics equation?

The variables in a kinematics equation are displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

4. How do you solve a kinematics problem involving quadratic equations?

To solve a kinematics problem involving quadratic equations, you need to identify the given variables and use the appropriate kinematics equation to solve for the unknown variable.

5. Can kinematics equations be used to describe motion in all directions?

No, kinematics equations can only be used to describe motion in a straight line with constant acceleration. For motion in other directions, vector equations must be used.