Before Learning Calculus-Help-What I need To Know

• Thread starter T.O.E Dream
  • Start date
In summary: I would also recommend looking into a calculus course, to get a little more understanding of what is being asked of you.In summary, to qualify for calculus 1 you need Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry. Without those prerequisites, you will not be able to complete the calculus course.
T.O.E Dream
I know that it is essential to learn calculus in physics but then i asked myself how am i going to do that? I thought that you needed to know pre-calculus then i can go ahead and learn actual calculus, until i heard pre-calculus doesn't prepare you for calculus. So what exactly do i need to know? Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
T.O.E Dream said:
I know that it is essential to learn calculus in physics but then i asked myself how am i going to do that? I thought that you needed to know pre-calculus then i can go ahead and learn actual calculus, until i heard pre-calculus doesn't prepare you for calculus. So what exactly do i need to know? Can someone help me?

You basically need Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry. The Pre-Calculus course is designed to increase your algebraic power and help you rigorously review Trigonometry. In case your "Intermediate Algebra" course did not include sequences & series, the Pre-Calculus will include them. Also, the Pre-Calculus course, if done well, includes a good introduction to limits. Again, the essential requirements to qualify for Calculus 1 are Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry.

T.O.E Dream said:

I may be full of ****, but I personally believe that all the prep you really need (i.e. all I had) is a good handle on Algebra. Oh, and Trig. Learn trig.

you should have a good handle on all mathematical topics taught through high school, this includes algebra I and II (functions, quadratics, linear systems, word problems, polynomials, factoring ...) know geometry well (slopes, areas, distance of lines, pythagorean theorem...), this includes trigonometry know all of the trigonometric functions and how to solve problems with them.

You really just need a good handle on algebra. But that's only needed to complete a calculus problem. Once you figure out which calculus concepts are relevant for a particular problem, the rest is basically algebra.

The first calculus course I took did not require the background in trig I had. Knowing the unit circle extremely well and proving many contrived identities was not too helpful. Basically, the trig background that I actually needed was very basic. The pythagorean identity and its immediate derivable identities are perhaps most helpful. If you take a rigorous enough calculus course, you will derive everything in trig through calculus anyways.

I saw someone here mentioning that learning Analytic Geometry is very helpful.

Raizy said:
I saw someone here mentioning that learning Analytic Geometry is very helpful.

I definitely agree to that. We had an intro to calculus in October and November and now I just sat a test in intro to analytical geometry. I wish it had been the other way around.

Algebra, Trigonometry (not essential, but is a good way to get familiar with the idea of a function), Analytic Geometry (basic stuff about working with Cartesian coordinates).

This should be enough to get started on the basic ideas of calculus.

In my class a relatively thorough knowledge of trigonometry wasn't essential until integration; however, one could easily make problems which require trig in differential calculus.

T.O.E Dream said:

Have you taken Geometry? I would suggest that you really know your Algebra, and some trigonometry (sin, cos, tan, unit circle). Physics deals with a fair amount of angles, and a ton of algebra. There are plenty of books out there that can help, if you need refreshers in certain topics.

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that involves the study of rates of change and the accumulation of quantities. It is used to solve problems in the fields of physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. Why is it important to learn calculus?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving complex problems in various fields. It allows for precise and accurate calculations of rates of change, optimization, and other important concepts.

3. What are the basic concepts of calculus?

The basic concepts of calculus include derivatives, which measure the rate of change of a function, and integrals, which measure the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. Other important concepts include limits, continuity, and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculus?

Calculus has numerous real-world applications, including predicting the motion of objects, optimizing systems, and modeling natural phenomena. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

5. How can I prepare for learning calculus?

To prepare for learning calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of functions, graphs, and basic mathematical concepts. Practicing with pre-calculus problems can also be beneficial.