[complex functions] finding complex roots in 1+z+az^n

In summary, the problem is to find a polynomial that has the same roots as (z^n+z^{n-1}+a), when we switch the coefficients.
rahl___
Hi,

I have a big problem in solving such question:

Let [tex]W(z) = 1 + z + az^n[/tex], where [tex]a[/tex] is complex and [tex]n[/tex] is natural and greater than 1. Show that [tex]W(z)[/tex] has a root that satisfies [tex]|z_k| <=2 [/tex].

I have no ideas how to solve it. I thought about integrating W and showing that it's roots create a circle with radius equal to 2, but it completely didnt work. I would appreciate if someone could give me a clue, as I really can't see any way of solving this one.

rahl

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, of course, the roots do NOT "create a circle with radius equal to 2".

Show that the absolute value, |W(z)|, is greater than some positive value for |z|> 2, so that there is no solution outside that circle.

of course they dont, I don't know what I was thinking when writing that.

Show that the absolute value, |W(z)|, is greater than some positive value for |z|> 2, so that there is no solution outside that circle.
I don't understand what you are implying.
Let [tex]z=4[/tex] and [tex]a = \frac{-5}{4^n}[/tex]. In that case [tex]|W(4)|=0[/tex], so there obviously is a solution outside that circle.

EDIT:
I have googled a hint:
http://www.math.cornell.edu/~barbasch/courses/418-06/p2sz.pdf
problem 3 is exactly my problem. Do I have to know what do these two polynomials W(z) and W(1/z) have in common, to succesfully use that replacement? I realize that W(1/z) will have the same roots as [tex](z^n+z^{n-1}+a)[/tex], which is a polynomial that we can get, when switching the coefficients in W(z): the first one with the last one, the second one with the prelast one, and so on. But what do they have in common apart from switched coefficients? And what about the roots of that switched polynomial? Where are they situated? I can't find any answer to this questions, I'd be grateful for any clues.

EDIT2:
I've finally solved it. Moderators can delete this thread or I can write the solution and let the thread live.

rahl

Last edited:

1. What are complex roots?

Complex roots are solutions to equations that contain complex numbers. They can be expressed in the form a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How do you find complex roots?

To find complex roots, you can use the quadratic formula or other methods such as factoring, completing the square, or graphing. In the case of complex functions like 1+z+az^n, you can use techniques such as substitution or the fundamental theorem of algebra to solve for the roots.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of algebra?

The fundamental theorem of algebra states that every polynomial equation of degree n has n complex roots. This means that for a polynomial equation like 1+z+az^n, there will be n complex roots that can be found using various methods.

4. Can complex roots be real numbers?

Yes, in some cases, complex roots can be real numbers. This happens when the equation only has real coefficients and the imaginary part of the complex number is equal to 0. For example, the equation x^2-4=0 has two real roots, 2 and -2.

5. How are complex roots related to complex functions?

Complex roots are the values of the input variable, in this case z, that make the complex function equal to 0. These roots can provide valuable information about the behavior and characteristics of the complex function, such as its maximum and minimum points.