Degrees of Freedom: Time an Atom/Molecule Factor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of degrees of freedom in atoms and molecules and whether time should be considered a degree of freedom. It is concluded that time is not a degree of freedom due to its restricted nature, and the possibility of traveling back in time is also discussed. However, it is noted that gaining freedom in time would result in a loss of freedom in space, and the total number of degrees of freedom remains constant.
cragar
when we talk about degrees of freedom in atoms and molecules should time be a degree of freedom.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
when we talk about degrees of freedom in atoms and molecules should time be a degree of freedom.

Short answer … no. :wink:

Time is in no way a degree of freedom!

why , time is a dimension which we move through so why is it not a degree of freedom.

cragar said:
why , time is a dimension which we move through so why is it not a degree of freedom.

I'm guessing because it is a restricted dimension. Just as if the particle was constrained to one single plane, the normal axis would no longer be a degree of freedom.

Just a guess, though. I've never actually talked about degrees of freedom in this context.

but I thought traveling back in time was still theoretically possible . And if we bring in theory of relativity if I were to travel faster then object A and then slow down a little bit I would change my time difference to object A and thus be moving forward a little bit then backwards in my time difference thus allowing time as a degree of freedom.

Gaining freedom in time makes you lose freedom in space, though. The total number of degrees of freedom doesn't change just because you happen to be moving in a particular way.

Likes gracy
ok i see , what about traveling back in time.

1. What is meant by "degrees of freedom" in the context of atoms and molecules?

Degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent variables that can affect the movement or behavior of an atom or molecule. In other words, it represents the number of ways in which the atom or molecule can move or vibrate in space.

2. How does time factor into the degrees of freedom of an atom or molecule?

Time is a crucial factor in determining the degrees of freedom of an atom or molecule. The more time an atom or molecule has, the more opportunities it has to move and vibrate in different ways, thus increasing its degrees of freedom.

3. What are the factors that can affect the degrees of freedom of an atom or molecule?

The factors that can affect the degrees of freedom of an atom or molecule include temperature, pressure, and the presence of other atoms or molecules. These factors can influence the movement and behavior of the atom or molecule, thus altering its degrees of freedom.

4. How do changes in degrees of freedom affect the properties of atoms and molecules?

Changes in degrees of freedom can significantly impact the physical and chemical properties of atoms and molecules. For example, an increase in degrees of freedom can lead to a higher energy state, making the atom or molecule more reactive or unstable.

5. Can the degrees of freedom of an atom or molecule be calculated or measured?

Yes, the degrees of freedom of an atom or molecule can be calculated or measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy or molecular dynamics simulations. These methods allow scientists to study and understand the movement and behavior of atoms and molecules in detail.