Huygens' principle and phase shift

In summary, the conversation discusses the amplitude of Huygens' wavelet and its relationship to the amplitude of the incident wave. The formula for this is mentioned to be found in the book 'Modern Optics' by Guenther p. 335, but without proof. The conversation also mentions a recommendation for a book on wave nature of light, with 'Born & Wolf' being suggested as a comprehensive reference.
paweld
I wonder why the amplitude of Huygens' wavelet is equal to the amplitude of incident wave multimpled by [tex]i / \lambda[/tex]. I found this formula in 'Modern Optics' by Guenther p. 335 unfortunately without proof. Has anyone seen the derivation of this fact.

Could you recommend me some good books in optics about wave nature of light.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing the formula that you 're referring to, i can tell that terms like these usually appear from the expansion of the point source (exponent of ik|r-r'|, sometimes referred as Huygens elementary wave) over large distances.

The absolute, classic reference for wave phenomena in optics is Born & Wolf. You can find almost everything there. The figures are very nice and clear.

Huygens' principle is a fundamental concept in the field of optics that explains how waves propagate through a medium. It states that every point on a wavefront can be considered as a source of secondary spherical waves, which combine to form the overall wavefront at a later time. This principle has been used to explain various phenomena in optics, such as diffraction and refraction.

The phase shift mentioned in your question is related to the wavelength of the incident wave. The formula you have mentioned, where the amplitude of the Huygens' wavelet is equal to the amplitude of the incident wave multiplied by i/λ, is derived from the principle of conservation of energy. This principle states that the total energy of a system remains constant, and in the case of waves, this energy is proportional to the square of the amplitude. Therefore, to conserve the total energy, the amplitude of the secondary wavelet must be adjusted according to the wavelength of the incident wave.

As for recommendations for books on the wave nature of light, I would suggest "Optics" by Eugene Hecht and "Fundamentals of Optics" by Francis A. Jenkins and Harvey E. White. Both of these books provide a comprehensive introduction to the wave nature of light and its applications in optics. Additionally, "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti and "Principles of Optics" by Max Born and Emil Wolf are also excellent resources for understanding the wave properties of light.

1. What is Huygens' principle?

Huygens' principle is a fundamental concept in wave theory that states that every point on a wave front can be considered as a source of secondary spherical wavelets. These secondary wavelets combine to form a new wave front, which then propagates in the same direction as the original wave.

2. How does Huygens' principle explain diffraction and interference?

Huygens' principle can be used to explain diffraction and interference by considering the secondary wavelets produced by each point on a wave front. As these secondary wavelets overlap and interfere with each other, they create patterns of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in the observed phenomena of diffraction and interference.

3. What is a phase shift in relation to Huygens' principle?

A phase shift is a change in the relative position of two wave fronts. In the context of Huygens' principle, it refers to the difference in phase between the secondary wavelets produced by neighboring points on a wave front.

4. How does phase shift affect the propagation of a wave?

Phase shift can affect the propagation of a wave by altering the amplitude and direction of the resulting wave front. This can lead to changes in the intensity, direction, and polarization of the wave.

5. Can Huygens' principle be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, Huygens' principle can be applied to all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. It is a fundamental concept in wave theory that helps to explain the behavior of waves in a variety of contexts.