M22 Spanned by 2x2 Matrices?

• Thread starter tua96426
  • Start date
In summary, M22 is a matrix group consisting of 2x2 matrices that can be multiplied and combined to form any other 2x2 matrix. The significance of 2x2 matrices in M22 lies in their role as the smallest size of matrices that can form M22 and their importance in various mathematical and scientific applications. In M22, 2x2 matrices are spanned by all possible combinations of four specific matrices, allowing for the creation of any 2x2 matrix in the group. The real-world applications of M22 spanned by 2x2 matrices include computer graphics, quantum mechanics, and economics, as well as various calculations and simulations in engineering and physics. Furthermore, M22 is a subgroup of
tua96426

Homework Statement

Is M22 spanned by the following 2x2 matrices:

[1,1;0,1]
[0,1;1,0]
[1,0;1,1]
[0,-1;1,0]

semi colon means start of new row.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this essentially asking me to check if the given matrices form a spanning set? So are we checking for linear independence? Or are we saying that ok let's pick an arbitrary 2x2 [a,b;c,d] and see if we can come up with a formula for a b c and d in terms of 4 scalars?

I checked for linear independence, and turns out that these 4 matrices are not linearly independent. If they were than after row reduction, I should have gotten I.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
tua96426 said:

Homework Statement

Is M22 spanned by the following 2x2 matrices:

[1,1;0,1]
[0,1;1,0]
[1,0;1,1]
[0,-1;1,0]

semi colon means start of new row.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this essentially asking me to check if the given matrices form a spanning set?
Yes, that's exactly what it's asking.
tua96426 said:
So are we checking for linear independence? Or are we saying that ok let's pick an arbitrary 2x2 [a,b;c,d] and see if we can come up with a formula for a b c and d in terms of 4 scalars?
If the four matrices span M22, they will necessarily be linearly independent. If you show that they are linearly independent, they will necessarily have to span M22. Either condition implies the other in this problem.

tua96426 said:
I checked for linear independence, and turns out that these 4 matrices are not linearly independent. If they were than after row reduction, I should have gotten I.
I haven't checked that the four matrices are linearly independent, so I can't say. I don't understand what it is that you row reduced, or how it is that something should have reduced to the identity matrix.

If you checked linear independence you would be solving the equation a*M1 + b*M2 + c*M3 + d*M4 = 0, where the Mis are your four matrices, and where 0 is the 2 x 2 zero matrix. If the matrices are linearly independent there will be just one solution for the constants; namely, a = b = c = d = 0. If the matrices are linearly dependent, there will be multiple solutions for the constants.

If you check to see whether the matrices span M22, you'll be solving the equation a*M1 + b*M2 + c*M3 + d*M4 = A, where A is an arbitrary 2 x 2 matrix.
tua96426 said:
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks Mark.
I didn't know how to describe the matrix that I was row reducing.. but yea that's exactly what I meant.
Thanks a lot, it cleared a lot of ambiguities.

-Sudhi

What is M22 Spanned by 2x2 Matrices?

M22, also known as the matrix group, is a set of 2x2 matrices that can be multiplied and combined to form any other 2x2 matrix.

What is the significance of 2x2 matrices in M22?

2x2 matrices are the smallest size of matrices that can be used to form M22. They are also important in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in linear transformations and solving systems of equations.

How are 2x2 matrices spanned in M22?

2x2 matrices in M22 are spanned by all possible combinations of the four matrices: [1 0], [0 1], [0 0], and [1 1]. This means that any 2x2 matrix in M22 can be created using some combination of these four matrices.

What are some real-world applications of M22 Spanned by 2x2 Matrices?

M22 Spanned by 2x2 Matrices has many practical uses, such as in computer graphics, quantum mechanics, and economics. It is also used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields for various calculations and simulations.

How is M22 Spanned by 2x2 Matrices related to other mathematical concepts?

M22 is a subgroup of the general linear group GL(2,R), which is a larger group of matrices that can be used to represent linear transformations. It is also related to the concept of vector spaces and the idea of linear independence and spanning sets.