Metalic apparatus to receive the discharge of a lightning near houses

In summary: Yes, I believe that this is what happens. It's still an open question as to whether or not the sharp points on the lightning conductor actually cause the discharges, or whether it's just an unfortunate coincidence.
DaTario
Hi All,

I would like to know what is the main reason to build those metalic apparatus to receive the discharge of a lightning near houses. I am concerned with its shape and its physical explanation.

Any help will be welcome,

Thank you all

Best wishes

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org

They are called lightning conductor and are to protect the building if it is struck by lightning.
They are simply metal wires going from above the building to ground. The idea is that the lightning hits the point rather than the building and the electrical current flows through the metal wire harmlessly to the ground instead of through the building.
Because the building has a high electrical resistance the lightning current flowing through it would produce a lot of heat energy and almost certainly start a fire.

mgb_phys said:
They are simply metal wires going from above the building to ground. The idea is that the lightning hits the point rather than the building and the electrical current flows through the metal wire harmlessly to the ground instead of through the building.

I'm not sure if the wire would survive a direct hit.

The pointed rods (connected to ground) release a stream of electrons into the air--trying to keep the atmosphere around the building from building up a charge that would 'attract' the lightning.

If course, I don't know why the lightning doesn't see the points as 'ground' (which would be many meters above the real ground) and strike it anyway.

Neil

Hi,

You two gave the taste of my problem. There are two main reasonings and each one of you has defended one of them.

The first is that the apparatus serve as a preferential and safer conductor channel for the electricity.

The second says that the sharp edge of this apparatus serve as a leaking mechanism, which is always throwing earth-charge into the air (atmosphere). This "may" lower the earth-charge density in the neigborhood of the building, lowering therefore the probability of hapening a discharge (lightning) in the very building (or its point-apparatus).

I again welcome contributions.

Thank you

DaTario

The theory that lightning conductors prevent strikes by discharging the building is discredited, in fact lightning conductors may slightly increase the chance of a strike because they allow the induced ground charge to create a potential at a higher point - nearer the cloud.

Last edited:

Hi mgb,

Is there any reference to this point of view? Any site?

Do you believe that these two factor act together, yielding what you called "slightly increase" ?

Best wishes

DaTario

mgb_phys said:
...may slightly increase the chance of a strike because they allow the induced ground charge to create a potential at a higher point - nearer the cloud.

This is the thought that made me add the ending statement to my post.

Neil

What is a metalic apparatus to receive the discharge of a lightning near houses?

A metalic apparatus to receive the discharge of a lightning near houses, also known as a lightning rod or lightning conductor, is a metal rod or conductor installed on the roof of a building to protect it from lightning strikes. It works by providing a low-resistance path for the lightning to travel through and safely direct it into the ground.

How does a metalic apparatus to receive the discharge of a lightning near houses work?

When a lightning bolt strikes a building with a metalic apparatus, the electricity is conducted through the metal rod and into the ground, bypassing the structure and preventing damage. The metal rod also disperses the electrical charge, reducing the risk of fire or explosion.

What materials are used to make a metalic apparatus to receive the discharge of a lightning near houses?

The most commonly used materials for a metalic apparatus are copper, aluminum, and steel. These metals are highly conductive and have a high melting point, making them ideal for handling the high voltage and heat of a lightning strike.

Do all buildings need a metalic apparatus to receive the discharge of a lightning near houses?

No, not all buildings require a metalic apparatus. The need for one depends on the height and location of the building, as well as the frequency of lightning strikes in the area. Tall structures, such as skyscrapers, are more likely to be struck by lightning and therefore need a lightning rod for protection.

Can a metalic apparatus to receive the discharge of a lightning near houses prevent a lightning strike?

No, a metalic apparatus cannot prevent a lightning strike from occurring. However, it can minimize the damage caused by the strike by safely conducting the electricity away from the building and into the ground. It is important to note that a metalic apparatus should be regularly inspected and maintained to ensure it is functioning properly.