Ion Engine Efficency: What Mass is Optimal?

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine Ion
In summary, my NASA friend argued that a lighter ion would be more efficent for an ion engine, but I argued that a heavier ion would be more efficent. I arrived at an equation that gives you the change in velocity for the ship after consuming ONE available ion.
flatmaster
I was arguing with my NASA friend the other day about what would make a more efficent propellent for an ion engine. Is it a lighter ion or a heavier ion. THis was what I derived.

Assume a charge q of mass m is accelerated through a potential V. The mass of the ship is M. Working through the problem with the tools an intro physics student could comprehend, I arrived at an equation that gives you the change in velocity for the ship after consuming ONE available ion.

v = Sqrt[2qVm/(M^2)]

I'm pretty confident in this. The units work out and all variables are in the correct place intuitively.

i'm confused on one point. I already have velocity as a function of mass of one particle. Do I need to divide by mass of one particle to get to velocity change per unit mass?

I think I'm confusing particle mass with bulk mass somehow.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're equation is correct. Not sure why the velocity change per unit mass would be useful here. If we assume a certain number of ions are generated per unit time, then multiply your equation by the rate at which ions are generated to get the acceleration.

Well, you want to carry as little propellent to keep the weight down. A higher change in velocity per unit mass would allow you to carry less propellent to achieve the same change in velocity.

Thinking about this a little more, and I am thinking the quantity of interest is the velocity change due to burning a fixed mass of fuel, since the "energy budget" would include a certain amount of fuel by mass.

Multiplying your v expression times the number of particles in a total fuel mass mf would give Δv for that mass of fuel. This number of particles is simply mf/m, so we have

Δv = Sqrt[2qVmf2 / (m2M2)] = Sqrt[2qV] mf/(mM)​

I guess this is pretty much what you were getting at ... essentially divide by the mass m to get the velocity change per unit mass of fuel.

EDIT:
I posted this before reading your post #3. (Yes, I had this edit window open and in progress for nearly an hour.) I agree with what you said.

So it appears that a smaller particle mass results in a greater thrust.

Well, if that's the case, why are they using xenon? It's heavy. Is xenon particularly easy to ionize multiple times? I mean, all that you need this particle to do is get ionized and fly out the back. Other than ease of storage, all other properties are irrelevant.

1. What is an ion engine?

An ion engine is a type of propulsion system that uses electricity and ionized particles to create thrust in outer space.

2. How does an ion engine work?

An ion engine works by ionizing a gas, typically xenon, and accelerating the ions using an electric field. The ions are then expelled from the engine at high speeds, providing thrust.

3. What is ion engine efficiency?

Ion engine efficiency refers to the amount of thrust produced by an ion engine per unit of propellant used. It is typically measured in terms of specific impulse, which is the change in momentum per unit of propellant mass.

4. Why is the mass of the propellant important for ion engine efficiency?

The mass of the propellant is important for ion engine efficiency because it directly affects the specific impulse of the engine. A higher mass of propellant can lead to a higher specific impulse and therefore, a more efficient engine.

5. What is the optimal mass for an ion engine?

The optimal mass for an ion engine depends on various factors such as the design of the engine, the mission requirements, and the amount of propellant available. Generally, a higher mass of propellant can lead to a more efficient engine, but it also adds weight to the spacecraft, which can impact its overall performance. Therefore, the optimal mass for an ion engine needs to be carefully calculated and determined for each specific mission.