Radiation, Magnetic fields and Linear Acceleration?

In summary: Would it be helpful if I could post my work so that you can see where I am going with this and try to answer the question yourself?
NeroBlade
Hi I've been revising and came across some questions which I do not understand how they obtained the answer could you guys help?

Show that the momentum, p, of a particle of mass m is related to its kinetic energy, KE by the relationship p^2 = 2m KE

Use the above relationship to calculate the accelerating potential required for
electrons to have a de Broglie wavelength of 4·5 × 10^(–11) m.

And the answer turns out to be 645V.

A magnet moves towards a coil as shown (solenoid circuit). Use Lenz’s law to explain in which direction the current will flow through the turns of the coil. The coil is now situated in a uniform magnetic field changing at a rate of 0·43Ts^–1.

r = 0.046m
B = 0.43Ts^-1
N = 1300
Total Resistance = 6.6 ohms
A = 2 *(pi)* r^2 = 0.0133m^2

Calculate the current flowing in the ammeter.

Formulas I've thought of is R = V/I, E = NBA / t and I set V = 1

However the formula turned out to be

I = (1300 * 0.43 * (pi) * ((0.046)^2)) / 6.8 = 0.55A

Problem I got is how did R become the demominator (6.8)?

In the LINAC, the protons are accelerated from rest through 3 gaps each with an accelerating p.d. of 36kV.

KE in J is 1.7*10^(-14)J
Speed of protons 4.5 * 10^6 ms^-1

The radius of the synchrotron is 12·5 m. Calculate the value of the magnetic flux
density in the synchrotron when the speed of the protons is 9·4 × 10^6 ms^–1.

Equation I could think of is

F = (mv^2) / r where do I go from here?

Any help would be gr8

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
In 3. what is the Lorentz force?

Also please show one's work.

1.##Attempt##

KE by the relationship p^2 = 2m KE

Use the above relationship to calculate the accelerating potential required for
electrons to have a de Broglie wavelength of 4·5 × 10^(–11) m.

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = h/mv

since p^2 = 2m KE
[tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 = h^2/(mv)^2
(mv)^2 = h^2 / [tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 = 2m KE

This is the point I couldn't continue...

2. #Attempt#

r = 0.046m
B = 0.43Ts^-1
N = 1300
Total Resistance = 6.6 ohms
A = 2 *(pi)* r^2 = 0.0133m^2

Calculate the current flowing in the ammeter.

Formulas I've thought of is R = V/I,
E = NBA / t
and I set V = 1

Rearranging would give me

E = NB2(pi)r^2/t
E = IVt = NB2(pi)r^2/t

Rearranging and cancellation provides

I = NBA/Vt^2

However the formula turned out to be

I = NBA/R
I = (1300 * 0.43 * (pi) * ((0.046)^2)) / 6.8 = 0.55A

3. #Attempt#

Equation I could think of is

F = (mv^2) / r = BQv

F = (1.67 x 10^-27 x 9·4 × 10^6) / (12.5 x Q ) = B

Im sure that F= BQv but prob is I cannot find Q...

NeroBlade said:
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = h/mv

since p^2 = 2m KE
[tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 = h^2/(mv)^2
(mv)^2 = h^2 / [tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 = 2m KE

This is the point I couldn't continue...

Now write KE in terms of V. If an electron at rest is accelerated through a potential V, what is it's KE?

The Kinetic Energy I worked out for the proton accelerated through 3 gaps with pd of 36kV is 108kEv which is 1.7 x 10^-14 J

I was talking about your attempt at question 1.

1. What is radiation and how does it affect living organisms?

Radiation is a form of energy that is emitted in the form of waves or particles. It can come from various sources such as the sun, nuclear reactions, and electronic devices. High levels of radiation exposure can cause damage to living cells, leading to health problems such as cancer. However, it is important to note that not all radiation is harmful. In fact, some forms of radiation are used for medical purposes, such as X-rays and radiation therapy.

2. How do magnetic fields work and what are their applications?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges and are characterized by their strength and direction. They can either be natural, such as the Earth's magnetic field, or man-made, such as those produced by magnets. Magnetic fields have various applications, including in electronic devices such as motors and generators, as well as in medical imaging techniques like MRI scans.

3. What is linear acceleration and how does it differ from other types of acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's velocity over time in a straight line. It is often measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). This type of acceleration differs from other types, such as angular acceleration, which measures the change in an object's rotational velocity. Linear acceleration is important in physics and engineering, as it helps us understand the motion of objects and design efficient systems.

4. How are radiation, magnetic fields, and linear acceleration related?

Radiation, magnetic fields, and linear acceleration are all forms of energy and can affect each other in various ways. For example, linear acceleration can cause charged particles to emit radiation, and magnetic fields can influence the path of charged particles. In addition, all three are important in the production and use of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when working with radiation, magnetic fields, or linear acceleration?

When working with any form of energy, it is important to take appropriate safety precautions. When working with radiation, proper shielding and protective gear should be used to minimize exposure. When working with strong magnetic fields, metal objects should be kept away, and individuals with pacemakers or metal implants should avoid exposure. When working with linear acceleration, safety measures should be taken to prevent accidents and protect against high-energy particles. Proper training and following safety protocols are crucial when working with these forms of energy.