I am looking for the B-field of a real coil.

In summary, the conversation discusses the B-field of a real coil and the search for an analytical solution. The on-axis field for a long solenoid is given by the Biot Savart equation, which is independent of coil diameter and can be calculated using the number of turns per unit length and current. However, there is no closed form solution for the off-center field. Some numerical examples are provided, comparing the field strength to that of the Earth's magnetic field and a permanent magnet.
0xDEADBEEF
I am looking for the B-field of a real coil. So a straight piece of pipe with some current density. Is it correct that there is no analytical solution to this?

It would be enough if I had the field of a current rotating in a cylinder obviously. I am working on some Biot-Savart but either I get some ugly double roots or roots mixed with trig functions in my integrals.

Does anyone know more? I do need the off center field as well!

Physics news on Phys.org

I can't help you with the off-center field, but there is a closed form solution for the on-axis field. It's axial (for obvious symmetry reasons) and equal to (in SI units):

[itex]B_z(z) = \frac{\mu_0 n I}{2} \left( \cos(\alpha_1) - \cos(\alpha_2)\right)[/itex]

where alpha_1, alpha_2 are the angles measured at z between the coil's axis of symmetry and the coil's upper and lower rims (assuming current starts at the bottom and circulates its way to top). n is the number of turns per unit length.

-----
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozymandias' answer is a nice form of the Biot Savart equation appropriate for solenoids. It is important to note that for a long solenoid, B is independent of coil diameter. It is also useful to put some numbers in for a typical coil (μ0 = 4 pi x 10-7 Henrys per meter). using n=1000 turns carrying 10 amps, the magnetic field is 0.0126 Tesla (126 Gauss). Compare to the Earth's field (~ 1 Gauss) and the field of a neodymium-iron-boron permanent magnet (~ 1 Tesla = 10,000 Gauss).

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

1. What is the B-field of a real coil?

The B-field of a real coil refers to the magnetic field strength that is generated by an electric current flowing through a coil. It is a measure of the intensity and direction of the magnetic field at any given point in space.

2. How is the B-field of a real coil calculated?

The B-field of a real coil can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀ * I * N / l, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the coil, N is the number of turns in the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

3. What factors affect the B-field of a real coil?

The B-field of a real coil is affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric current, the number of turns in the coil, the length of the coil, and the permeability of the surrounding material.

4. How does the B-field of a real coil vary with distance?

The B-field of a real coil follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the coil increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases proportionally. This relationship is described by the equation B ∝ 1/r², where r is the distance from the coil.

5. What is the significance of the B-field of a real coil?

The B-field of a real coil is significant in various applications, such as in electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field and is essential in many areas of physics and engineering.