Electron moving through a uniform magnetic field

In summary, the electron is initially moving at a speed of 9.00 x 10^5 m/s in a uniform magnetic field of 2.0 T, pointing south. At one instant, it experiences an upward magnetic force of 2.00 x 10^-14 N. Using the equation F= lql * VBsin(theta), the angle at the first position is found to be 3.98° counterclockwise of south. However, for the second possible position, the correct angle is found by using sin(180° - θ), resulting in an angle of 183.98°. This is because what matters is the sine of the angle, not the angle itself.
bioradical
The Problem:
An electron moves with speed 9.00 105 m/s in a uniform magnetic field of 2.0 T, pointing south. At one instant, the electron experiences an upward magnetic force of 2.00 10-14 N. In what possible directions might the electron be moving at that instant? Give your answers as angles clockwise from south (from 0° to 360°), in increasing degrees.

The only equation needed should be F= lql * VBsin(theta)

I used the above equation and found the angle to be 3.98° counterclockwise of South. So my first answer was 360-3.98=356.02° (which was correct). My problem came with finding the angle at the second position. I initially thought that it would be 180-3.98, but, through guess work, I found that the correct answer is 180+3.98= 183.98. I'm not sure why this is right.

Can someone help me understand the concept behind the second possible position of the electron?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi bioradical! Welcome to PF! :smile:
bioradical said:
So my first answer was 360-3.98=356.02° (which was correct). My problem came with finding the angle at the second position. I initially thought that it would be 180-3.98, but, through guess work, I found that the correct answer is 180+3.98= 183.98. I'm not sure why this is right.

Because what matters is sinθ.

sin(180º + θ), which was your first try, is minus sinθ (so the force would have to be down) …

but sin(180º - θ) is sinθ :wink:

The reason why the correct answer is 180+3.98 is because the magnetic force acting on the electron is always perpendicular to both the direction of the electron's motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the angle between the magnetic force and the direction of motion is always 90 degrees. Therefore, in order for the electron to experience an upward magnetic force, it must be moving in a direction that is perpendicular to the south direction (which is the direction of the magnetic field). This can be either 90 degrees clockwise or 90 degrees counterclockwise from the south direction, which corresponds to 180 degrees and 0 degrees, respectively. Since the electron is initially moving south, the second possible direction would be 180 degrees + the angle of 3.98 degrees counterclockwise from south, resulting in 180+3.98 = 183.98 degrees.

1. How does a uniform magnetic field affect an electron's motion?

When an electron moves through a uniform magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to its velocity. This force causes the electron to move in a circular path, known as a Lorentz force.

2. What determines the direction of an electron's motion in a uniform magnetic field?

The direction of an electron's motion in a uniform magnetic field is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the electron's velocity. The direction of the force on the electron is always perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of the electron's motion.

3. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect an electron's motion?

A stronger magnetic field will cause a stronger force on the electron, resulting in a tighter circular path. The radius of the circular path is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can an electron's speed be affected by a uniform magnetic field?

Yes, the force from the magnetic field can change the electron's speed. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the electron's velocity, the speed will remain constant but the direction of motion will change. If the magnetic field is parallel to the electron's velocity, the speed will increase as the electron moves in a helical path.

5. What is the impact of a uniform magnetic field on the energy of an electron?

As an electron moves through a uniform magnetic field, its kinetic energy remains constant. However, the direction of motion changes, and therefore the electron's potential energy may increase or decrease depending on the direction of the magnetic field.