Solving Exponential Equations: Homework Statement & Solution

• Thread starter Scrythe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary: That seems like a logical next step.In summary, Scrythe's homework statement was incorrect and contained mistakes in algebra.
Scrythe

Homework Statement

Solve the exponential equation.
1. (22x)+(2x) - 12 = 0
2. 3 * 4x + 4 * 2x + 8 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. 2x ln 2 + x ln 2 = ln 12
x(2 ln 2 + ln 2)= ln 12
x=( ln 12) / (2 ln 4).
I'm thinking I'm factoring out the X wrong.

2. 12 ( 4x * 2x = -8
4x * 2x = -2/3
x (ln 8 ) = -2/3
x = (-2/3) / (ln 8)
The back of the book says there is no real solution. Why? Let's say it was a real solution. Did i solve the problem correctly?

Thanks for the help.
-Scrythe

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing some unorthodox, i.e. wrong, algebra there. It's not true that ln(2^(2x)+2^x)=ln(2^(2x))+ln(2^x) or that 3*4^x+4*2^x=12*(4^x*2^x). The way to solve the first one is to notice that if you put u=2^x then 2^(2x)=u^2. So the equation turns into a quadratic u^2+u-12=0. Solve the quadratic and then figure out x from u. Can you turn the second one into a quadratic as well? Oh, and practice your algebra!

You have algebra mistakes on almost every single line of your work.
For problem 1, you have
2x ln 2 + x ln 2 = ln 12
x(2 ln 2 + ln 2)= ln 12
x=( ln 12) / (2 ln 4).
As Dick already commented, your first equation is incorrect. The second equation has no error in it. The third equation has an error, because 2 ln 2 + ln 2 != 2 ln 4.
2 ln 2 + ln 2 = 3 ln 2 = ln 2^3 = ln 8.

Your work in problem 2 also has some errors.
12 ( 4x * 2x = -8
4x * 2x = -2/3
x (ln 8 ) = -2/3
x = (-2/3) / (ln 8)
Dick already pointed out the error in your first equation above. Going from your first equation to the next, no errors. In the third equation, the error is that 4x * 2x = 8x^2, which is not at all equal to x ln 8.

Your basic algebra skills are killing your ability to work with more complicated concepts, such as logarithms and exponents. For each of the mistakes that Dick and I pointed out, you should go back and review those topics to make sure that you really understand them. If you don't do that, you're going to have a very tough time with the current topics you're studying.

equivalent to the first equation, so no mistake.
The first line above

it was (4^x) * (2^x) not 4x * 2x, but nevertheless i was able to find that there was no solution because the discriminant was negative.
(12^1+x) + (8^1+x)
(u^2) + u + 8 = 0
(b^2) - 4ac = 1 - 32 = no real solution.

i was also able to solve the first one. ( though i won't post my work). I realize i am no expert in algebra, but i have not had troubles until this section. I will look back at the algebra techniques.

thanks again,
Scrythe

Sorry, I just copied your work, and the superscripts got lost in the copy.

For the second problem, your answer is correct, but your work isn't. The original equation is 3*4x + 4*2x + 8 = 0
If you make the substitution u = 2x, the equation becomes 3u2 + 4u + 8 = 0. This is quite different from what you posted, which was u2 + u + 8 = 0.

I have no idea of where you got this:
(12^1+x) + (8^1+x)

Ok that makes sense. I did 3 * 4^x = 12 ^(1+x) and 4 * 2^x = 8^(1+x), which i now realize is incorrect.

And that's what we mean by going back over those old topics. As you go further with mathematics, if you don't have the basic stuff down cold, you'll spend all of your time making mechanical errors and won't have a prayer at understanding the higher-level concepts.

And why don't you substitute y=2x and solve the quadratic equation?

1. What are exponential equations?

Exponential equations are equations in which the unknown variable appears in the exponent. They involve repeated multiplication of a base number by itself a certain number of times.

2. How do you solve exponential equations?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use the properties of exponents, such as the power rule and the product rule, to simplify the equation. Then, you can use logarithms or the properties of logarithms to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the homework statement for solving exponential equations?

The homework statement for solving exponential equations typically involves solving for the unknown variable in an equation with exponents. It may also include using logarithms to solve the equation.

4. What are some tips for solving exponential equations?

Some tips for solving exponential equations include identifying the base and exponent, using the properties of exponents to simplify the equation, and using logarithms to solve for the unknown variable.

5. Can you provide an example of solving an exponential equation?

Yes, for example, to solve the equation 3x = 27, we can use the power rule to rewrite the equation as 3x = 33. Then, we can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation as x = log3(27). Finally, we can solve for x by using a calculator or by recognizing that 33 = 27, so x = 3.