Penn state erie or rutgers university?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of mechanical engineering programs at Penn State University and Rutgers. While Penn State is ranked higher overall, the reputation of its satellite campuses may not be as strong. However, it is possible to transfer credits from a satellite campus to the main campus at University Park. In this case, the person has already completed two years at a community college and is looking to transfer for their remaining two years. However, they have learned that transferring to the main campus is not an option and they would have to start as a new major in their junior year."
jaredmt
my major is mechanical engineering and I am not sure which school is better. Penn State University is always listed higher in rankings, but now i reallized that the side-campuses don't have the same reputations according to a few sites that i found...
is a BS degree from rutgers actually better than a BS from penn state erie?

Physics news on Phys.org
Penn State allows full credit transfer to the main campus at University Park. So after two years you can transfer to the main campus. It is very common for students at the satellite campus to transfer to University Park after two years and finish there. The credits at a satellite count as if you went to main campus.

o sorry, i didnt put in enough info. i already did my first 2 years at a community college. i only need 2 years left to graduate. so fall 2009 will be the start of my junior year

edit: i just called up penn state. they said that basically University Park is not an option :( i would have to be reevaluated and if i did get accepted to the main campus, it wouldn't transfer from erie to main, it would start as a new major at my junior year basically

Last edited:

1. What programs are offered at Penn State Erie or Rutgers University?

Penn State Erie, also known as Penn State Behrend, offers over 40 undergraduate and graduate programs in fields such as business, engineering, and liberal arts. Rutgers University offers over 150 undergraduate majors and 400 graduate programs in fields such as business, education, and health sciences.

2. How do I apply to Penn State Erie or Rutgers University?

To apply to Penn State Erie, you can complete the online application through the Penn State website or the Common Application. For Rutgers University, you can apply through the Rutgers website or the Common Application. Both universities also require submission of transcripts, standardized test scores, and other materials.

3. What is the campus life like at Penn State Erie or Rutgers University?

Penn State Erie has a small, close-knit campus community with various clubs and organizations, athletic teams, and events. Rutgers University has a larger campus with over 700 student organizations, Division I sports teams, and a variety of cultural events and activities.

4. How much does it cost to attend Penn State Erie or Rutgers University?

The cost of attendance for Penn State Erie and Rutgers University varies depending on factors such as residency, program of study, and financial aid. In-state students can expect to pay around $20,000 per year at Penn State Erie and $15,000 per year at Rutgers University. Out-of-state students can expect to pay around $35,000 per year at Penn State Erie and $30,000 per year at Rutgers University.

5. What opportunities are available for research and internships at Penn State Erie or Rutgers University?

Penn State Erie and Rutgers University both offer various opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to engage in research, internships, co-ops, and other hands-on learning experiences. Students can work with faculty on research projects, participate in internships with companies and organizations, and gain practical experience in their field of study.